Poll

Any clues to missing wizard

what is this
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: I have no email Wizard  (Read 7943 times)

goldberry

I have no email Wizard
« on: February 02, 2004, 08:15:05 AM »
I have free home edition on WinXP with DSL with firewall built into modem. No wizard in start programs Avast or found in search of Avast files. Thanks for any help in this case.  ???

RE: I spent the night looking for any posts like mine and did not find any but I did find several that spoke of leftovers from Norton causing many problems. I will try removing with the RNAV removal tool at the symantic site. Then, I will try uninstalling Avast and reinstalling it. I will post the results. Thanks for all your help, Debbie
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 07:22:13 PM by goldberry »

goldberry

Re:I have no email Wizard
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 08:20:04 PM »
I used the RNIS and RNAV removal tools. But when I checked the registry as one Forum user suggested, Symantec was still listed in one of the places. ControlSet001/Control/VirtualDeviceDrivers shows VDD REG-MULTI-SZ C:\PROG~1\SYMANTEC\S32EVNT1.DLL
Since I don't really know what I'm doing well enough to mess with the registry, I'm not sure what to do. If I could just uninstall Avast and then reinstall, I would like to give Avast another try. But if Avast and any leftovers from Norton are going to clash, (as stated so in many forums) then I guess I will just have to try Grisoft AVG or something else. Oh well, it's too bad for all of us thousands and thousands who have had Norton on our systems at one time. Maybe I will try it one more time.

goldberry

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 11:04:34 PM »
MY OOPS! If you do not configure the email wizard during setup, it is not available to run later. Make sure you know your email POP3 and SMTP addresses if you are using Outlook express or similar POP3 email because you are asked for these. Also, I found excellent information for removing Norton registries and stuff. Very simple and easy to understand. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2003082915490436?Open&src=asa&docid=2002122115120906&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl
 If this link does not work, I found it at the Symantec site by searching for uninstall registry. Or, you can just cut and paste into your browser address bar and hit enter. Hope this helps some newbie who doesn't want to mess around with complicated techniques. Thanks, Debbie
P.S. Couldn't send email from Outlook Express. Error message stated email had timed out! Increased the timeout length in Avast and in Outlook express as described in another forum and all works now. ;D Steps I took to increase server timeouts were:
Open Outlook Express-click Tools-accounts-mail-highlight account-click properties-advanced-move slider to increase server timeout-click apply and OK.
Then right click little avast ball in toolbar-click to highlight internet mail-click customize-advanced-increase timeout length-click OK.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 06:03:04 AM by goldberry »

goldberry

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 06:10:10 AM »
I have free home edition on WinXP with DSL with firewall built into modem. No wizard in start programs Avast or found in search of Avast files. Thanks for any help in this case.  ???

RE: I spent the night looking for any posts like mine and did not find any but I did find several that spoke of leftovers from Norton causing many problems. I will try removing with the RNAV removal tool at the symantic site. Then, I will try uninstalling Avast and reinstalling it. I will post the results. Thanks for all your help, Debbie
Man is not an island unto himself

techie101

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 07:01:32 AM »
goldberry,

I am very confused.  Why ask a question on the forum, then answer it all by yourself.  ???

Guess you don't need my help.  :-\

Going to bed.

techie

goldberry

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 07:40:50 AM »
Hey, where was everyone when I needed help? I'm just glad I could figure it out on my own with the help of the good people who have posted before me. Whad ya think I was gonna do, wait around forever with no virus protection! Anyway, the solutions aren't for you, they are posted for others with my problems.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 07:42:40 AM by goldberry »

goldberry

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 02:58:36 AM »
The solutions are posted for others with my problems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 03:06:45 AM »
Goldberry, techie and I are just trying to help...
But I'm confused like him...
Do you need help in anything? I'll loggoff in some minutes but I'll be back tomorrow  8)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 01:41:16 PM »
Technical,

I guess he likes to hear himself.  We tried my friend.

goldberry

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 05:52:11 PM »
Sorry for any confusion, I was trying to post a new thread about restoring files from the virus chest. My post on this thread was a mistake. This thread was started way back in February.  

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 05:08:59 AM »

By the way, what's the use of a poll with only one selection?    :o    ???  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 06:09:34 AM »
By the way, what's the use of a poll with only one selection?    :o    ???  

Another newbie's mistake  ;D Never mind, it's not too hard  8)
The best things in life are free.