Author Topic: Question?  (Read 5217 times)

brockey01

Question?
« on: February 04, 2004, 09:53:58 PM »
how do i change visual memory? i mean i know how but how do i make my comp faster by changeing it. i know where 2 go and all but i dont know what 2 set it at 2 make avast run smoothly along with other programs. thanks ...... RUNNING:- windows Me , 64 ram, 667mhz

Culpeper

Re:Question?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 02:11:46 AM »
Best let Windows manage virtual memory.  User stevejrc recommends the following memory utility:

http://www.amsn.ro/index.php?action=2

I've been using it and it works great.  This will manage your memory than tinkering with your virtual memory settings.  If you install select the guardian option to manage memory on auto.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 03:20:15 AM »
Hey brockey...
Besides Culpeper's suggestion, there are some links here.

You can find something at section RAM Defragmentation & Test Tools]. Wellcome on board!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 05:46:43 AM »
Welcome back, Technical :)

brockey01

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 02:30:21 PM »
hi Culpeper does that memory tool work automaticly? just wondering im using it with avast and all and my CPU is running faster now thanks

basa

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 04:52:49 PM »
Despite a lot of advice to the contrary I do manage my swap file manually !

I use 98SE with 256MB RAM and I set both min and max to 550MB.  Norton Utilites (Defrag) optimises the file to the fastest part of the HD. Never had a problem with mem errors since and fragmentation is reduced noticably.  :)

Not sure any of this will help Avast though ? It uses little by way of memory or resouces !  You'd be better off installing another 64MB of RAM.  ;)

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 03:35:06 AM »
hi Culpeper does that memory tool work automaticly? just wondering im using it with avast and all and my CPU is running faster now thanks

Yeah, it runs on auto with the guardian set to on in the options settings.  My Win98 seems to have picked up speed so I did some benchmarks and the results are much better than before.