Author Topic: Umm... Avast rocks in a serious way  (Read 12390 times)

Waldo

Re:Umm... Avast rocks in a serious way
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 09:37:24 PM »
Nice to see that within minutes this thread is all over Wilders, lol  ;D

Haha. Well, it's getting late here,

Thanks for the nice discussion JimNT.

Kind regards,

Waldo

Btw: AVAST is indeed great, but NOD is not bad either  ;) that are the facts.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 09:37:56 PM by Waldo »

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 10:06:10 PM »
Hi JimIT,

welcome back  ;)

Really?  What about these?

Listed below are a few of the viruses that became wildspread (some entries includes aliases). All of these are detected by NOD32 heuristics, without requiring any update.
Some of these were detected several months before they were released, and even before they were written!
Win32/Klez.H

But you are defeinitely wrong here  ;D ;D
Seriously - I did not test the NOD heuristics and I believe it works pretty well. But the fact is: Klez.H was created and was ItW much before this new NOD heuristics exists, so it can't be detected in advance  ;D ;D

Did not check the other viruses (actually I don't care) but this one makes me smile  ;D ;D !

Well, there are different methods, heuristics is one of them, generic family detection is successful another one.

BTW: Yesterday I've got an offer to buy a patented method which will work against viruses for more than 1000 years with the 99,5% success  :D. Really! So the virus problem is definitely solved  :D (not by us but maybe some other AV company will get the patent!)

Pavel  ;)

JimIT

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 10:22:26 PM »
Hi JimIT,

welcome back  ;)

Really?  What about these?

Listed below are a few of the viruses that became wildspread (some entries includes aliases). All of these are detected by NOD32 heuristics, without requiring any update.
Some of these were detected several months before they were released, and even before they were written!
Win32/Klez.H

But you are defeinitely wrong here  ;D ;D
Seriously - I did not test the NOD heuristics and I believe it works pretty well. But the fact is: Klez.H was created and was ItW much before this new NOD heuristics exists, so it can't be detected in advance  ;D ;D

You're right, Pavel ;)  Not all were detected in advance (as mentioned)--just that AH could--in fact--detect Klez without having a signature. ;)

Just wanted to impart a little more information than what Waldo had mentioned.

Well, there are different methods, heuristics is one of them, generic family detection is successful another one.

Very true!  And I'm not trying to run down Avast!  Avast! is a fine AV! ;)  Kudos to Alwil for a great product!

BTW: Yesterday I've got an offer to buy a patented method which will work against viruses for more than 1000 years with the 99,5% success  :D. Really! So the virus problem is definitely solved  :D (not by us but maybe some other AV company will get the patent!)

Pavel  ;)

ROFL!  Buy the patent!!  You'll be a zillionaire!!   ;D ;D