Author Topic: sgtartup and shutdown times  (Read 6202 times)

aplustek

sgtartup and shutdown times
« on: February 28, 2004, 06:10:07 PM »
Hello
Anyone exeriencing slow shutdow times because of avast? After I upgraded to the latest version and build, the shutdown time was a little faster but now after a restart, my desktop icons takes way longer than normal to appear (its like avast is starting up in the background). I am using Windows 2000 on a Pentium4 and I don't have a whole bunch of stuff in my System Tray that may be slowing things down.

Beerbreath

Re:sgtartup and shutdown times
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 04:53:54 AM »
I'm having the same problems since the update. My P4 takes about 2.5 minutes to boot up - 75 seconds to go from blank desktop to icons showing. It used to take about 45 seconds. Shutdown is proportionatly slow as well. My Internet Explorer has problems opening some pages that require cookies and possibly scripts as well. I installed Netscape and everything seems to work fine with that but some sites are proprietary Microsoft sites and wont open with Netscape. I've turned all the settings to normal from high but still no change. I was glad to read that I'm not the only one with this startup problem - I've been trying to fix it for days now along with the IE problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 04:59:43 AM »
Just a shot... Can you clean your Windows temp folder and the files at the folder _avast4_ of it? Have you find some trouble with the last update processes (while updating)?
The best things in life are free.

Beerbreath

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 05:27:43 AM »
I use BeClean (found at www.NONAGS.com) regularly to get rid of temp and internet garbage but there is clnr0.dll which is in the _avast4_ folder in Window Temp. Its the only file in any of the Windows Temp folders. Should I remove this dll? I also had a recent problem with Blazefind spyware and an added bridge.dll file that Avast didn't pick up on. I used Hijackthis after running Spybot and CWSshredder but the slow boots and IE page loading problems still persist. I've been working over my IE options, ZoneAlarm and Avast settings to no avail.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 07:49:01 AM by Beerbreath »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 12:34:46 PM »
I use BeClean (found at www.NONAGS.com) regularly to get rid of temp and internet garbage but there is clnr0.dll which is in the _avast4_ folder in Window Temp. Its the only file in any of the Windows Temp folders. Should I remove this dll?

No, it's the avast! Cleaner extrated from the VPS file (virus database) on each boot. It's ok. That suspect was just a shot of mine...  :-\

Is your HDD defragmented (and cleaned with scandisk?)?
How much RAM do you have?

Beerbreath

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 03:01:03 PM »
Defrag weekly - twice this week
256megs RAM - Win XP Pro - P4 1.3 Gig Dell - 3 yrs old
Here's a thought, the icons used to load fast and then Avast ran but now it seems Avast is running first then the icons load. When they finally do come up, it appears that Avast has done it work and the system is ready to roll. I've been using and recommending your terrific product for over a year and this is the first small glitch encountered. Its really no big deal to wait 2.5 minutes but I just thought maybe there was a malfuntion. I'm not even sure if Avast is causing the slow boots. Thanks for the time you've been putting in to this for me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 04:43:38 PM »
Here's a thought, the icons used to load fast and then Avast ran but now it seems Avast is running first then the icons load.

Windows does not start the applications and services in a regular order. It changes from time to time.
I suggest you try Startup Delayer. You will be able to configure not only the order but how many seconds the applications must wait after boot to load themselves. It's a quite good application indeed  ;) You can make tests...

Beerbreath

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 02:22:52 PM »
My windows startup problems don't appear to be stemming from your avast! software. I've uninstalled it along with some other suspect progams and my machine still boots a little slow (2.5mins) but I can live with that until I figure it out. The update probably didn't reconfigure the startup regime so I reinstalled it and ran a ton of optimization / maintenance programs trying to find the culprit. It will rear its ugly head one of these days and I will smite it. Thanks again for all your time and energy on this. One good thing out of all this is that I know where to turn for help with avast! if and when I ever need it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 02:25:35 PM by Beerbreath »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 11:09:10 PM »
My windows startup problems don't appear to be stemming from your avast! software. I've uninstalled it along with some other suspect progams and my machine still boots a little slow (2.5mins) but I can live with that until I figure it out. The update probably didn't reconfigure the startup regime so I reinstalled it and ran a ton of optimization / maintenance programs trying to find the culprit. It will rear its ugly head one of these days and I will smite it. Thanks again for all your time and energy on this. One good thing out of all this is that I know where to turn for help with avast! if and when I ever need it.

You said your software... Thanks, but really is their software.
Yes, you can find help here anytime... Did you try Startup Delayer? If not, could you post here all your Startup programs (both Startup Menu and Windows Registry Run keys)? That way we can help you - if posible - to find which program (or driver) is making the boot slower  ::)