Author Topic: Unable to delete virus-file  (Read 11095 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Re:Unable to delete virus-file
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 11:50:33 PM »
If the file locking is the problem:

1) Is it possible for avast! to "unlock" the file before trying to delete, repair or move it

2) KILL the process locking the file (that IS possible) if the file is locked - and then delete, repair or move it - to be sure that the infection is dealt with. If it's infected the issues with killing a process is a minor issue (my opinion anyway).

3) Or at least; give the user a possibility at the "unable to access file" to KILL the application locking the file, and then try again (with some explanation about what to do).
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 12:10:50 AM »
Vlk, seriously, if avast! for DOS is 'out' (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2989;start=0#msg21393), it's a pitty that the user cannot have any other chance to get rid from virus...
I do not think that the Cleaner is a panaceia but, why doesn't the Cleaner run in a DOS environment or handle the same virus as avast! for Windows?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 09:46:07 AM »
I do not think that the Cleaner is a panaceia but, why doesn't the Cleaner run in a DOS environment or handle the same virus as avast! for Windows?

The Cleaner is a tool that has a special piece of code for each virus, to clean up its registry entries, temporary files, etc. This requires special processing of each virus (more thorough than just adding the detection to avast!; besides it has to distinguish more variants than avast!) - I'm afraid I won't be able to add all the avast! detected viruses in the following 1000 years (even if no new viruses were added to avast!).
Cleaner doesn't run in DOS environment, because it's not a DOS program. In fact, making it a DOS program would require to rewrite most of its code. Besides, you don't have access to the windows registry from DOS - i.e. fixing the registry entries (which was one of the main reasons to create the Cleaner) would not be possible.