Author Topic: how to influence time and frequency of update  (Read 12514 times)

xtonda

Re:how to influence time and frequency of update
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 01:18:40 PM »
Sorry for being unclear, the GPRS connection (modem) freezes sometimes (I have to switch it off and back on to make it working again) but dial-up connection in Windows remains in connected state, so checking for status of DUN connection doesn't assure that Internet is really accessible. In this situation I consider the pinging method more reliable.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2004, 01:24:38 PM »
Sorry for being unclear, the GPRS connection (modem) freezes sometimes (I have to switch it off and back on to make it working again) but dial-up connection in Windows remains in connected state, so checking for status of DUN connection doesn't assure that Internet is really accessible. In this situation I consider the pinging method more reliable.

I see... But maybe it is just a trouble of your type of modem because I never had troubles with DUN state... I use NetStat and it detects very good the state of connection for lauching/closing programs. You can detect the state by four methods: Non-local & non-private, Any non local IP address, RAS connection, Tray connect (testing mode).

Maybe someone from Alwil could say something about the detection  :-*
The best things in life are free.

xtonda

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2004, 02:19:45 PM »
If you want to delay the attempt to update some seconds after the connection were established, try to see here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

Anyway this "Understanding avast4.ini file" thread is very interesting reading, in context of this thread especially "UpdatePeriod" key :-)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2004, 02:27:46 PM »
Don't alter the value to lower than 4 hours. Anyway,Alwil guys will lock this feature in next release,so dont bother with it...
4 hours is the most optimal check rate,for both,Alwil update servers and you.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2004, 04:49:59 PM »
Don't alter the value to lower than 4 hours. Anyway, Alwil guys will lock this feature in next release, so dont bother with it...
4 hours is the most optimal check rate, for both, Alwil update servers and you.

I do recommend this behavior... Otherwise, we, the users, will be in danger with Alwil...
The best things in life are free.