Author Topic: Mozilla Mail problem  (Read 20888 times)

offmdan

Mozilla Mail problem
« on: March 20, 2004, 02:06:29 AM »
Hi there!

Have just discovered AVAST / Home edition and glad to see it can work for Mozilla Mail (not so for AVG, at least not easy to configure).

Is it possible that AVAST may be making Mozilla Mail ask for password everytime I want to access my various mail accounts?  The same thing has been happening to Thunderbird.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Mozilla Mail problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 03:03:58 AM »
I do not use Mozilla nor Thunderbird, but passwords asked could be related to an avast! configuration:

Settings > Update (Advanced) > choose the way you connect to the Internet (dial-up or DSL).

Go to your browser and see how it is configurated: never dial, dial the default connection... Choose the correct option for you.

Hope this help. If problem persists, could you post again?
The best things in life are free.

shgoh

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 03:17:43 AM »
Is it possible that AVAST may be making Mozilla Mail ask for password everytime I want to access my various mail accounts?  The same thing has been happening to Thunderbird.

no...passwords can be saved by mozilla...just tick the option 'remember password' everytime mozilla popup a window asking for passwords... ;)

offmdan

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 11:58:29 AM »
Shouldn't dial-up be default setting?

I don't remember having this problem at first.  It does the same for Mozilla Mail or Thunderbird but not for OE.  Come to think of it, why would this "dial-up"-"dsl" issue be applicable to Mozilla and not to OE?  I'm on dial-up, dsl would not work for me.

Have ticked the "remember password" over and over and over and over and over and over again (in Mozilla & TBird).

Have uninstalled AVAST and everything is o.k. now.

Will perhaps go back to try AVAST again if another solution is suggested.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 01:45:53 PM by offmdan »

Datagg

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 08:14:37 PM »
Im currently using thunderbird for email and it works fine. May I suggest to you to start over again.

1) Make sure in thunder bird that your account are set up by isp standards.

2)Shut off your email program(all of them).

3)Re-instal avast.

4)Run the email wizard, setting it to protect all future accounts and enter in your isp settings.

5)Reboot computer.

6) At this point, I would like you too, if you are using more than 1 email program, to tell one of them to be your default. In my case its thunderbird, it is a much better email client in my belief.

7) Once your email program of choice open up, it will ask you for passwords once again, for each one enter passsword and check remember.

At this point all should be setup. If it is not, I would export your email and your other information to thunderbird, or vica a versa and reinstal the paticular email client that gives you trouble.  Again I would use thunderbird for all of this, it just is smotther and oporates much smoother.

Well good luck to you, I hate to see you not use the best av out there for such reasons.

1 last side note, are you using a spam filter for your emails??

Good luck, let us know how it goes

offmdan

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 08:52:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips Datagg,

Have re-installed AVAST,
using only pop account for now.

Everything seems to be going fine.

It seems to reckognize the other accounts too (IMAP).

So far, so good.  Will come back to your good words if problems do arise again.

Datagg

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 02:39:51 AM »
Thats Great News.. Good Job!! ;D

offmdan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 08:23:57 PM »
It's odd.  After installation and first reboot everything goes well.

Second reboot and requests for passwords start up again.  
Unable to keep passwords even if it is told to keep them.

Uninstalled and re-installed third time.
This time, went for custom with only pop account checked off.
IMAP accounts left off.
Again, after second reboot passwords are asked for again and again even if save password is checked off.

Have un-installed AVAST and...

that's enough for now!

LAB

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 07:26:12 PM »
I am not sure I understood your question correctly but see if this is what you mean. I know that Netscape and Mozilla have an option to encrypt passwords and also have a setting to ask you for your password each time it is needed etc. If I recall, it is under preferences, privacy or security. Netscape would always ask me my password when receiving or sending mail so I turned it off. It can get to be quite annoying.

offmdan

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 07:31:42 PM »
This only happens when AVAST is running, otherwise MozillaMail or Thunderbird will never ask me for passwords again if the save password option is checked.

techie101

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 10:23:42 PM »
offmdan,

I would imagine that your problem is not actually with Avast, but with the way you configured it within the Mail Protection Wizard.
Avast is requesting Authentication each time it connects to your mail server.
Go into the Avast folder and look in Data for .ini file
Let me know if Default SMTP is set to a 0 or 1

Check your Mozilla Options menu to see if you have it set to use "authentication" or not.

There is no reason why Mozilla or Thunderbird cannot work properly with AVAST.

Later,
techie

offmdan

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 01:13:27 AM »
This is my 4th installation...  will it be the last try?

Again, password is required for every account even if checked of to remember each one.

But here is the data as requested:

DefaultPopServer=pop etc.
DefaultSmtpServer=smtp etc.
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=1

Mozilla is not set for authentication.

Working with Win98SE

offmdan

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 01:47:42 AM »
This is strange!  Very strange!!!

The first time I rebooted after installing for the 4th time Mozilla or Thunderbird asked for my accounts passwords.
After entering I told it to keep passwords (as I have always done).

Now after rebooting (the whole system and not simply restart program) already twice, it no longer asks for my passwords!

Will keep you informed if there are any changes tomorrow morning after I boot up again...

offmdan

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 02:37:31 AM »
Couldn't wait till a.m.

Have re-booted and...

still asks for passwords!   :'(

techie101

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 05:04:54 AM »
offndam,

Since your Avast .ini file shows Default SMTP=0, then Avast is expecting "authentication".
Either set Mozilla to use "authentication or change the AVAST .ini to read Default SMTP=1

Try the above and see if it changes things, but whatever you do, stop uninstalling.  It is not necessary to do so at this point.  It obviously will not cure the problem.

techie