Author Topic: Could it be too throughly ?  (Read 4443 times)

Jon

Could it be too throughly ?
« on: March 31, 2004, 05:07:06 AM »
It started using avast! Home Edition a couple of weeks ago, on my Athlon 900 Mhz with 1 GB RAM ... and in the beginning I really didn't notice, but now I feel a bit like it's slowing down my computer. I got the same comments from a couple of friends I recommended this software ... and they're also using a bit old machinery ;). Is there a way to not be so throughly but still safe?

And is it really slowing down because of that or is it something else, 'cause I'm the only one experiencing it .... ?

msb113

Re:Could it be too throughly ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 05:13:02 AM »
I have noticed a drag also after installing it and im running a P2.6 but it is faster than Norton and McAfee but slower than AVG 7... It's free so I guess you can't complain too much... but it is a tad consuming!

Regards,

Msb113

shgoh

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 07:09:15 AM »
hi jon...

i believe this is a persisting problem...a co-optimality problem to find the optimum balance between PC resources and security....which alwil people and many others AV teams have been trying hard to solve...

just my 2 cents worth of thoughts..

anyway...welcome to avast forums... :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 07:40:05 AM by shgoh »

Jon

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 07:00:56 PM »
Thanx - nice to hear it's not only on my machine. Also - had a weird problem when finishing a file in mIRC (a download), then mIRC was freezing up, and I had to reboot to make it go away. That happened even when disabling the shield that should scan these files.

When I say 'I had' this problem, it's because I temporarily switched to another antivirus program .... but I'll keep an eye on updates and so, 'cause I really like avast!.

Jon

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 11:22:31 PM »
Hi again - I'm actually back already  :).

I disabled some of the shields and that makes me think .....

Why are the 'Instant Messaging'- or the 'P2P'-shield needed, I mean downloading a file or getting one through IM, when opening it through the explorer, the 'Standard'-shield would kick in, right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 03:45:56 AM »
Hi again - I'm actually back already  :).

I disabled some of the shields and that makes me think .....

Why are the 'Instant Messaging'- or the 'P2P'-shield needed, I mean downloading a file or getting one through IM, when opening it through the explorer, the 'Standard'-shield would kick in, right?

Jon, I do not use IM and P2P providers but I though - I'm not sure - that the two providers would fit better and faster with the IM and P2P applications. The Standard Shield will 'affect' all the applications and files.

But you're right, the Standard Shield will do the job. I think this is the reason for the two providers are with the Home (free) version and not at the Professional.
The best things in life are free.

Jon

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 08:29:31 PM »
Allright :)