Author Topic: Major bug found, Avast causes Windows XP to lock up crash when at the desktop!!!  (Read 4416 times)

RJARRRPCGP

After I installed Avast and then rebooted Windows XP Pro SP1, Windows XP Pro SP1 locked up when at the desktop
and even Task Manager failed to respond, thus was unable
to even manually force terminate Avast and was forced to push the reset button on my PC and cause HDD data corruption. The lock up occurred after applying a skin change, then even after I pushed the reset button, reloaded Windows XP Pro SP1 and reinstalled Avast, Windows XP Pro SP1 locked up again when just at the desktop and didn't even touch any Avast settings >:(.

The PC specs that the above symptoms occurred with:
Asus A7V8X-X motherboard BIOS 1005,
Athlon XP "T-bred" 2000+
256 MB Kingston PC2100 DDR SDRAM,
Maxtor 80 GB (4D080H4) UDMA 100 HDD,
Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB DDR,
Via AGP driver 4.30a,
Catalyst 3.2 and
Windows XP Pro SP1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
After I installed Avast and then rebooted Windows XP Pro SP1, Windows XP Pro SP1 locked up when at the desktop
and even Task Manager failed to respond, thus was unable
to even manually force terminate Avast and was forced to push the reset button on my PC and cause HDD data corruption. The lock up occurred after applying a skin change, then even after I pushed the reset button, reloaded Windows XP Pro SP1 and reinstalled Avast, Windows XP Pro SP1 locked up again when just at the desktop and didn't even touch any Avast settings >:(.

The PC specs that the above symptoms occurred with:
Asus A7V8X-X motherboard BIOS 1005,
Athlon XP "T-bred" 2000+
256 MB Kingston PC2100 DDR SDRAM,
Maxtor 80 GB (4D080H4) UDMA 100 HDD,
Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB DDR,
Via AGP driver 4.30a,
Catalyst 3.2 and
Windows XP Pro SP1

Do you intall a second antivirus program in this machine? Even in the past?
Did you use Norton Antivirus?

What do you mean with 'Windows XP Pro SP1 locked up when at the desktop'?
The best things in life are free.