Author Topic: Timeout makes it unusable  (Read 15933 times)

casey

Timeout makes it unusable
« on: April 12, 2004, 05:18:23 AM »
I have installed the newest Home version of "home" product. My configuration is:

Windows XP PRO Service Pack 1
Incredimail  Build 2501.361 (preferred)
Outlook Express 6 (also used to test all of bellow)

I have gone through the steps in your FAQ and all the threads dealing with this. I have started all over again specifying only 1 email account. I tried both with and without an attachement. I have increased the timeout in avast to 600 seconds!!!!

I am still having problem sending email. See messages bellow.

I have access to the mail server so I monitor the syslog messages. I don't see any activity and I don't see any activity on my DSL modem and/or router. When I disable the outgoing scan, the message goes in 1 or 2 seconds.

Email client stays in sending mode (email client says 100%), smtp icon is active for a while and then I get a message avast!: Connection timeout Internet connection timeout elapsed. Contnue waiting ?[ Server 'smtp1.sympatico.ca'. Port 25]  ...

When I press OK, my client gives the following message

421 tomts25-srv.bellnexxia.net Lost connection to [64.229.132.218]

In order to send this message, I had to turn the outgoing scan off.

Can you help ?

Lanny Rosicky
Toronto

shgoh

Re:Timeout makes it unusable
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 05:24:20 AM »
did you enable smtp authentication?

casey

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 05:38:38 AM »
The smtp authentication is checked (at the time I deplyed the mail wizard) - that is I did not change it from what the wizard set it at. When I look at the settings it says:

Login information for server 127.0.0.1

x logon using #smtp1.sympatico.ca
password nothing/empty

shgoh

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 05:49:55 AM »
is your login info is yourusername#smtp1.sympatico.ca?

if it is...then that should be fine...make sure you didn't enable any TLS or SSL

try to run the mail wizard again to re-setup the protection

jonzsie

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 12:01:33 PM »
I have been having the same problem, everything appears to be correct according to the help files. Can you please tell me where in avast you set the time out....I will check that. I am running foxmail.

shgoh

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »
I have been having the same problem, everything appears to be correct according to the help files. Can you please tell me where in avast you set the time out....I will check that. I am running foxmail.

click on the avast icon in your system tray...choose internet mail...customize...advanced...

casey

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 02:56:39 PM »
is your login info is yourusername#smtp1.sympatico.ca?

if it is...then that should be fine...make sure you didn't enable any TLS or SSL

try to run the mail wizard again to re-setup the protection

Yes it is. The password is emptu, thoug. I rerun and rerun si I am out of breath now. Perhaps I will have to return to the other AV.

techie101

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 06:11:35 PM »
Casey

The Avast timeout will have minimal effect on the STMP server conncection.

However, those of you using OE6 will have difficulty if the Timer Connection setting is not sufficient to allow sending of large files.  This setting is located in the Properties tab of the mail account settings found in OE.

Try this first.  Also, zipping large files instead of trying to send them in their original format helps since the file/s are compressed and take less time to transmit. (This can be a headache if the person on the other end doesn't know or have use of a Zip/Unzip program)

Techie
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 06:18:21 PM by Techie101 »

casey

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 06:28:38 PM »
Casey

The Avast timeout will have minimal effect on the STMP server conncection.

However, those of you using OE6 will have difficulty if the Timer Connection setting is not sufficient to allow sending of large files.  This setting is located in the Properties tab of the mail account settings found in OE.

Try this first.  Also, zipping large files instead of trying to send them in their original format helps since the file/s are compressed and take less time to transmit. (This can be a headache if the person on the other end doesn't know or have use of a Zip/Unzip program)

Techie

As I tried to describe in my post, it happens even for a one sentence, no attachement email.

jonzsie

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 01:05:19 AM »
Thanks I found the settings and changed them in avast and outlook express to the maximum and it still timed out. What if I changed them both to 0.....would that mean there was no time out?

techie101

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 01:48:05 AM »
jonzie,

Yes, if you lower the timeout towards zero, it approaches no timeout.

At this point, I am nor sure what the cause of the problem could be.  
It seems as though the computer is waiting for an SMTP connection but does not see one and disconnects.

Have you reviewed the Help file on manual configuration of Avast? Let me know while I do some more research.

IMPORTANTAlso, how long ....from the time you attempt to send an email to the time you get the "timeout" alert?

Techie
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 01:53:59 AM by Techie101 »

casey

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 02:06:36 AM »
As there is obviously no solution to this problem, I am going back to my AVG.  Thanks everybody for your help.

jonzsie

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 02:59:44 AM »
I have just timed it. Sending an attachment about 470kb it timed out after 3mins. In the past it sometimes takes awhile to send attachments depending on their size but my program has never timed out. (this was before I installed Avast) It is only attachments I have the problem with. The progress bar for sending is completed staight away (and it should take awhile to complete) then it is just suspended then I get the time out message. If I send a smaller attachment of about 250kb it works. I am puzzled.  I will try changing the setting in Avast to 0 and keep the setting in Outlook at 6mins. I dont use outlook I use foxmail.....but it does the same in both programs.

techie101

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 04:11:48 AM »
jonzie,

The 3 minute timeout does not conform to any of the times in Avast.  I was hoping to link it to something.

This is a long shot, but do you use a firewall?

Can it be that the FW is blocking the transfer of the attachments?

Maybe a call to your ISP might help.

Techie

jonzsie

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 04:27:28 AM »
Thank you for all your help......I do use a firewall sygate but have had no probs with any other email clients. I WILL NOT GIVE UP.......I want to use Avast becasue it picked up a virus the first time I used the program when avg had missed it and so had trend online scan. This is what I came across in the help.

Known problems

If the internet connection is too slow or the message being sent is too long, it is possible that the period your mail programs waits for the response, expires. A mail program that automatically disconnects after the times elapsed is not able to send such a message. This error will not be corrected, due to the characteristics of the SMTP protocol. It is necessary to set the interval to the highest possible value. When downloading a long message from a POP3 server, messages about timeout expiration should be eliminated. But it is still recommended to set this interval to the highest possible value, too.

That applies to Outlook but should not effect Foxmail as there has never been a time out period with foxmail.