Author Topic: Skins  (Read 8015 times)

LTE

Skins
« on: May 19, 2004, 12:43:55 PM »
Hi...

Last week I downloaded and installed avast! 4 Home and I think it's one of the nicest pieces of software I've ever seen.

I tried several skins, and I wonder: is there a way to design my own skins? Is there some kind of skin editor available, or is there a tutorial about this subject?
I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or in the forums.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Skins
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 12:58:44 PM »
Contact Sasha (forum name is S.Z.Craftec) He is the Avast! Shin Master
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Novak

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 03:08:59 PM »
Hi,

I create skin tutorial ... you can download it from this page http://www.avast.com/i_kat_71.html. There is skin in Photoshop file too.

Regards,
Martin Novak, ALWIL Software

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 03:39:20 PM »
Interesting :) Maybe i'll make one someday :) Thanks for tutorial :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

zappafan

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 02:16:31 AM »
This is great.
A tutorial...
Damn...I just love it....

Thanx alot everyone for all help!

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 12:39:14 PM »
Hi,

I create skin tutorial ... you can download it from this page http://www.avast.com/i_kat_71.html. There is skin in Photoshop file too.

Regards,
Martin Novak, ALWIL Software

Martin, you should make zip file with all those hundreds of skin pieces, not just 5 pieces...  actually my Matri-X-kin contains exactly 80 pieces of graphics, buttons, screens, pads etc... With all due respect for your tutorial, but I really don't think it's possible to explain everything in just 3 pages. Especially, with all those errors that SkinBuilder gives you when you wanna make some effects...

People, hardest way is sometimes best way.. I didn't use any kind of tutorials. I downloaded ActiveSkin and I learned it hard way... play with it every single day, test functions, try to make some strange animations and results will just pop out... well, not just, but at least you can achieve some results with your obduracy...

Cheers !

Novak

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 02:07:25 PM »
Martin, you should make zip file with all those hundreds of skin pieces, not just 5 pieces...  actually my Matri-X-kin contains exactly 80 pieces of graphics, buttons, screens, pads etc... With all due respect for your tutorial, but I really don't think it's possible to explain everything in just 3 pages. Especially, with all those errors that SkinBuilder gives you when you wanna make some effects...

People, hardest way is sometimes best way.. I didn't use any kind of tutorials. I downloaded ActiveSkin and I learned it hard way... play with it every single day, test functions, try to make some strange animations and results will just pop out... well, not just, but at least you can achieve some results with your obduracy...

Cheers !

Hi Sasha,

I know that my tutorial isn't perfect and I didn't want to create tutorial with 20 pages. I only show way how to create skin and that it isn't as hard as many people think.

Simply .... I want to put spirit into them:-)))

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 02:34:04 PM »
Don't say that Martin, and don't get me wrong. Your tutorial is perfect and it looks great. I'm just saying that it can not be explained in just 3 pages. There is so many options in there and you know it. You also have to use some tricks to get some effects in SkinBuilder...

And, no it's not hard if you know what are you doing, but don't tell me it didn't took you long time to get comfortable with that program. Some functions in that program are so confusing, that I really don't know how someone could possibly know where to start...

Once again, don't get me wrong... your tutorial deserves all the best... well, we'll see... I just can't wait to see someone else's skin in avast! skins download section besides our skins... it would be great to see more skin designers gathered in this forum.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 02:34:28 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Novak

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 04:26:12 PM »
Ohhhhhh no:-)))) Sasha .... why do that?:-)))) When you say that create skin isn't easy .... so everybody will be frighten .... and nobody else create new skin. And what about we? ..... we will be still waiting:-))))

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 06:44:24 PM »
No you got me all wrong Martin... No, I didn't say making skins is not easy, but for sure it's very hard work... I know that 'cause I made so many skins, so I know how much time it took me to make those...

Making skins is not difficult, of course if you love that job and you strongly decided that you wanna finish it... I know so many friends that contacted me asking me how to make skins for avast!

I explained it to them best I could, but after few days, they sent me e-mails that SkinBuilder is too difficult to work with and they don't even wanna try any more... well, they said that, not me. Why we can't see anyone else making skins for avast ? 'cause all of them think they just have to put their picture instead of main picture in some skin (like in old versions of WinAMP) and skin is finished. Well, they need to create all those buttons, animations, ideas etc...

I'm still waiting to see someone else's skin in skin download section. You are talking like I wouldn't like to see other skin designers and that's not true... I'm just little bit tired of waiting, that's all... so long time, no one even wants to try... I am not surrender, so I expect that from all others who wants to try in skin designing... but, unfortunately, I'm still waiting with no results...  :(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 06:46:24 PM by S.Z.Craftec »