Author Topic: SCREENSAVERS.COM SAFE????  (Read 10937 times)

RV01

SCREENSAVERS.COM SAFE????
« on: May 29, 2004, 06:23:30 PM »
I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF DOWNLOADING WALLPAPERS AND SCREENSAVERS FROM THE SITE WWW.SCREENSAVERS.COM IS SAFE FOR MY COMPUTER AND FREE FROM  VIRUSES. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY SUSPICION ABOUT THE  SAFETY  OF THIS SITE PLEASE REPORT IT

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:SCREENSAVERS.COM SAFE????
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 07:11:58 PM »
I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF DOWNLOADING WALLPAPERS AND SCREENSAVERS FROM THE SITE WWW.SCREENSAVERS.COM IS SAFE FOR MY COMPUTER AND FREE FROM  VIRUSES. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY SUSPICION ABOUT THE  SAFETY  OF THIS SITE PLEASE REPORT IT

No site should ever be truely be considered safe, you have to exercise your own diligence, use the search engines to see what is out there for the site you are considering. Google only returns one entry and that is for the screensavers.com site. But a more detailed search on that results page click on the option Find web pages that contain the term "screensavers.com" returns many, many more.

Anything that you are considering downloading should always be anti-virus scanned. Wallpapers are just images and so far a relativly low risk. Screensavers are small programs and as such could be made to do anything that the author wants so represent a potentially high risk, so more care should be taken.

I personally don't use a screen saver, why would I care what is on the screen when I am not using the computer. I mearly set my power settings to put everything into standby, screen, HDDs and then system after short delays.

P.S.
Large amounts of Capitals are not only harder to read, but considered to be Shouting, but to then make them bold as well is Shouting very Loudly.

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:SCREENSAVERS.COM SAFE????
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 11:15:14 PM »
RV, wellcome!
As David said, CAPS are against our protocol  ;D
I suggest you try www.webshots.com before: more than 2 millions photos to choose.  ;)
The best things in life are free.