Author Topic: ashServ.exe problem  (Read 16485 times)

Gene Johnson

ashServ.exe problem
« on: June 02, 2004, 11:59:56 AM »
After installing Avast!4 Build 4.1.396, ashServ has been running continuously at 20% CPU usage. When I turn off VRDB the usage stops. I know VRDG is to back up files, but this has been going on for several days now. Do I need to reinstall or is this normal? I just ran HouseCall and I show no virus problem. I also have ZoneAlarm, Ad-aware6.0, Spybot and Spyguard.  I uninstalled my PC-cillin before loading Avast!. Thanks for your assistance.

Windows XP
          CPU Intel 1.8GHz
          Ram 256MB

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:ashServ.exe problem
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 02:12:47 PM »
Hi Gene and welcome to the forums,

There are different ways to generate the VRDB, at idle, at screensaver and now. For some reason something is slowing down the scan it should only take a few minutes.

I would suggest that you close down all programs that you don't need (Spybot and Spyguard may have an effect, you could temp disable them) and select generate VDRB now.

Right click the i (VRDB) icon and select 'Generate VRDB Now!'

Let me know how you get on.

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gene Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 04:20:13 PM »
David:

If I disable VRDB generation and then click "Generate  VRDB Now", it runs for a minute or two at 50% usage and the drops off to idle. If I allow generate at idle and click "Generate VRDB Now", it runs at 50% for a minute or so then drops back to running at about 20% continuously.

What is the file name of the VRDB so I can check what is there?

I appreciate your assistance.

Gene

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 05:16:13 PM »
I have no idea what the file name might be, but to check it out follow the information below.

If you right click the avast icon and select the, 'Start avast! Antivirus.'

When the simple user interface is displayed, you should be able to see Virus Recovery database (VRDB) and the date and time when it was last run. If you can see that it hasn't been run sucessfully or completed. If there is no date then you need to 'Generate VRDB Now.'

By default after you have run it once, it doesn't run for 21 days and then only according to the selection you made, 'Generate VDRB when computer is idle' would be your best bet.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 05:18:05 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gene Johnson

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 07:01:10 PM »
According to the Simple User Interface:
          Date of last scan: Not done yet
          Virus recovery database(VRDB): Not done yet

Since I have done both several times, I must assume I have a download error. Unless someone has a better idea I am going to:
          Uninstall Avast!4
          Disable my security programs temporarily
          Reinstall Avast!4
          Re-enable security programs

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 07:24:30 PM »
That won't hurt, I ran a generate VRDB now and without doing anything other than minimising all windows, it took 5 minutes where ashserv was at between 33-57% and when complete back to zero.

For some reason something is slowing/stopping your generation.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 07:26:17 PM »
Keep in mind, with regard to the scan date, that that only gets updated when you've run a "local drives" scan.  If you scan using "folders", the scan-date doesn't get updated even if you've selected the whole C (or whichever) drive.

Maybe that's something the Alwil team could look into for future versions, getting avast to treat a "folders" scan for the entire drive the same as a "local drives" scan.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 08:59:26 PM »

Gene, if I'm not wrong, probably, C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\Avast4.mdb
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 09:01:34 PM »
The scan-date doesn't get updated even if you've selected the whole C (or whichever) drive.

Mike, I'm not that sure, for me scanning the entire drive is the same as a "local drives" scan and the date is updated  :-\

Gene Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 10:33:01 PM »
Technical:

I found the Avast4.mdb file. It shows file was modified today and is 208Kb, but I don't know what program to use to open an .mdb file. Thanks to all in this thread, I am enjopying learning how to control my destiny on my computer. Keeping this puppy safe and clean is not easy and takes time, but appears to be worth the effort.

Gene

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 11:41:16 PM »
Technical:

I found the Avast4.mdb file. It shows file was modified today and is 208Kb, but I don't know what program to use to open an .mdb file.

Gene

The mdb file is not a file that you would want to open, it is not a regular file where you can view text, it looks like it is a compiled/machine code file that you wouldn't want to corrupt.

David

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 12:46:26 AM »
I don't know what program to use to open an .mdb file.

As David said, you may not have to open it but, if you really want, Microcrosf Access will do the job (mdb = microsoft database).

Gene Johnson

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 06:18:58 AM »
Well folks: I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast!4 Home and I still have the same problem as originally stated. AshServ runs at about 20% anytime the machine is idle. If I disable VRDB generation it stops. The simple Interface Screen still says
      Date of last scan: Not done yet
      Virus recovery database: Not done yet

I get a pop-up after completing a scan:
      Scan completed with error
      3=The system cannot find the path specified

Is there a solution to this problem, or do I need to get my security elsewhere.

Gene

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 06:47:34 AM »
Gene Im sure you will get a soultion as soon as the avast programmers see this. I will notify them.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 06:49:26 AM »
I sent a message to igor for you.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay