Author Topic: Virus update???  (Read 3549 times)

lebanese_007

Virus update???
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:11:29 PM »
I was wondering, i saw on the website that avast will update when i connect to the internet... where is that option that shows me that???

I installed this software becuase of the updating feature... AVG is good but doesn't update when i connect to the internet...

Please help...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Virus update???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 10:14:18 PM »
This is a default function. At least it was working out of the box for my PPPoE ADSL (dial-up DSL). After i connected soon i got update popup (depends on when update is released). If not try checking "I'm using dial-up" or whats that option in Update menu...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

lebanese_007

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 10:59:32 PM »
i'm using cable to connect to the internet... so if i checked the dialup option, what does it do for me???

and after i connect to the internet and i get the updated definitions, when is the earliest time it will update again?

Can i tell it to update what time i want???

if i can't... do you know what file under c:\program files\alwil software\avast4  can i click to execute the update feature, becuase if i can do that, i can tell xp to excute that file at any time i want.... so i will be protected all the time..

thanks for your help...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 11:40:36 PM »
i'm using cable to connect to the internet... so if i checked the dialup option, what does it do for me???

Nothing if you are not on dial-up, RajZor was suggesting it as an option if you were experiencing problems, it could be you had selected the wron connection method.

and after i connect to the internet and i get the updated definitions, when is the earliest time it will update again?

Whenever one is released the automatic update will recognise it is available and will download it if you have selected to auto update.

Me I am on dial-up and I have mine set to dial-up connection and ask before update. So when I connect to the internet auto update checks for updates and tels me if one is available and ask if I want to install it now. Couldn't be simpler.

Can i tell it to update what time i want???

Yes but it wont really achieve anything as if one was available it would dbe downloaded automatically. Unless you are talking about a scheduled task to connect and update, if so I don't believe that is possible.

if i can't... do you know what file under c:\program files\alwil software\avast4  can i click to execute the update feature, becuase if i can do that, i can tell xp to excute that file at any time i want.... so i will be protected all the time..

No file, right click on the avast icon and hover over Updating and then select iAVS Update, but as I have said you shouldn't need it. You are protected at all times updates are automatic[/i].
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

The Maxx

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 06:22:06 AM »
It should update on its own after you've installed it.  It might take it a few minutes or so to do it.