Author Topic: Updates on Limited User Profile  (Read 4344 times)

Joe_1957

Updates on Limited User Profile
« on: July 01, 2004, 07:43:51 PM »
Hi, I'm a relatively new user to Avast. I am wondering if it possible to use the Windows task manager or some such thing to allow it to update itself. Or, will it update itself on a Limited acct? In which case, there would be no need for anything special.
Using XP Pro.
The situation is this: There is an admin acct., but the day to day acct that will be logged in will be a Limited acct.

I apologize for asking this when I'm sure it's been asked before. I tried using the Search function, but didn't use the correct syntax most likely.

Joe Fisher
Teacher, K-8
Marion, MT
http://home.centurytel.net/JF/Moab/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Updates on Limited User Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 08:02:25 PM »
Joe, you're wellcome to avast forums.

It's possible to use Windows task manager to update if you have Pro version (if I'm not wrong). Do you have a file called ashUpd.exe in avast folder? If so, try on cmd (DOS) window: ashUpd.exe /? for parameters.

Anyway, you can configure avast to update automatically into avast settings (see Connections (Basic and Advanced) tabs).
You can choose both program and virus database to be updated.

This will happen both in limmited and administrator account.
Hope this help  ;)

For automatic updates, see RejZoR's application:
http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/downloads/avast_external_control.zip  :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:06:39 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

rloschmann

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 10:37:16 AM »
In limited accounts you will not be able to update the program, only the definition files. So you may set the update to be automatic for the definition files and manual for the program. When a new program version is available (you can check that on www.avast.com) log into your administrator account and do a manual update. Program updates happen about once a month.

kubecj

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 10:55:47 AM »
If avast! is run from non-admin account, it does spawn the setup process using the service with LocalSystem rights. That brings two things:
a) it should update program without problem
b) there may be problems reaching the internet if there is some non-standards-compliant proxy (read ISA) in way which authenticates using NT credentials. There is a workaround though.

So, to sum it up: it should be possible to run whole program update from an limited user account, avast's setup was designed that way.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 10:59:22 AM by kubecj »

rloschmann

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 11:05:54 AM »
Oh nice !! i learn something. I'm immediately switching to both automatic !!

Thanx kubecj.   8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 02:03:50 PM »
You can choose both program and virus database to be updated.

He he, I was right  ;D
The best things in life are free.

rloschmann

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 04:36:56 PM »
Yes as usual  ;)

I have to search where i got this wrong information. Maybe the help file, the forum, the FAQ ? I can't remember.