Author Topic: Outlook "Sent Items" locked in Chest  (Read 7160 times)

Leslie

Outlook "Sent Items" locked in Chest
« on: July 02, 2004, 10:07:14 PM »
I have just put Avast 4 on my PC.  

It has taken all of my sent items from Outlook Express (sent items.dbx) and locked them in the chest and I can not get them out as it is showing a virus VBS:Kak-A1 and skull and crossbones icon.  

I have written to Avast several times and the suggestion of using restore doesn't work as the icon is grey.  Help please!!!  Thanks Leslie

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 10:19:06 PM by Leslie »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Outlook "Sent Items" locked in Chest
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 11:41:09 PM »
If the file is on the Chest and you can't restore it, why don't you try to 'Extract' to another folder?
What icon is greyed?
Don't you receive any answer for your emails?
The best things in life are free.

Leslie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 12:01:33 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  It is the restore icon that is grey so I can't use it.

I have sent about 8 emails to Avast and had no reply since the first one.

Extract files icon works but I know little about computers and am not sure what to do.

Thanks Leslie

PS I don't snow if relevant, but my spy checking software AVG says I also have Back Door Agent BA and JAVA_BYTEVER A-1viruses that I cannot remove.

Leslie

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 12:12:58 PM »
I tried extract to Outlook Express, the computer did something for a few minutes, but when I looked, nothing back in Outlook and the properties in the chest show still holding all the info.  Leslie

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 05:30:44 PM »
Extract the file (Sent Items.dbx) to its original location. To find out the original location, let the Chest show the properties of the file. It's one of the properties.

I tried extract to Outlook Express, the computer did something for a few minutes, but when I looked, nothing back in Outlook and the properties in the chest show still holding all the info

Did you quit Outlook Express first? This is absolutely necessary for it to work. Also, the Chest will possibly ask whether you want to overwrite the existing version. You need to confirm this.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Leslie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 11:56:13 PM »
Thankyou, will try and let you know.  

Cheers

Leslie

Leslie

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 12:53:12 AM »
Hi Vlk

Tried what you suggested with outlook express closed, again the computer processed (asked if I wanted to overwrite, I said yes) but still no sent emails in o express.

Any other ideas?

Regards

Leslie

Staind

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 01:21:36 AM »
You're using AVG?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 04:03:28 AM »
You're using AVG?

Staind, I suppose you think AVG + avast:

I have just put Avast 4 on my PC.

Leslie

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 10:26:55 AM »
Yes, this all started because:

1) I was running Norton and on Internet Explorer, I kept having problems that I could not connect and got a message, Server Not Available.  A friend said this could be  Virus.

2) Problem persisted and friend also put on AdAware and Spybot, found a lot of problems, but Server Not Available persisted.

3) Sunday Times said Adaware and Spybot can conflict and recommended Download.Com, which I went to and it said AdAware and Spybot good, but recommended Avast, which is how I have gotten to where I am.

4) Computer friend then added AVG as he thought it might solve problem, but it just keeps coming up saying Back Door Agent BA, but it can't take it off.

I know this sounds like a dogs dinner, but I know nothing about computers and when I went to 2 real computer companies here, one blamed Avast, the other said, don't know anything about Avast, get in touch with the company itself, which is what I have been trying to do.

Hope this helps, Cheers Leslie

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 03:06:05 PM »
Please check the Outlook Express data folder (the folder you're extracting the file to), just after the Extract command completes but before you restart Outlook Express. Make sure the Sent Items.dbx file is there and has correct size (it should be pretty big, probably hundreds of MB) and e.g. back it up somewhere so you can play it with more easily (I mean restore etc.).

I'm now in the mountains (connecting via weak wireless link) but I should be in civilization tomorrow evening so I'll write more.

Thanks Vlk. :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 03:25:10 PM »
1) I was running Norton...
4) Computer friend then added AVG as he thought it might solve problem
... then you install avast

Please, uninstall all of them and keep just one antivirus.
I suggest avast but you must choose.
More than one will conflict!  :(

2) Problem persisted and friend also put on AdAware and Spybot, found a lot of problems, but Server Not Available persisted.

Well, the two programs are not designed to solve that problems. They are spywares.

3) Sunday Times said Adaware and Spybot can conflict

Well, who wrote this in Sunday Times must have done on Sundays, at the beach  ;D
I don't find any conflict between them.

Leslie

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 03:49:57 PM »
Hi and thank you both for your help.

I am happy to delete other software, have already done AVG, but it still shows on my programmes menu!

Just now though I would like to rescue emails if I can.

A search for "sent items.dbx" produced one result only (on C drive) with 273,329kb, which is I assume what it has since Avast seized the other 500 or so emails.  

In the Avast chest the size of the sent items.dbx file is shown as 279888780 - I assume the balance I am looking for.

Please excuse my seeming ignorance, but I do not understand how to check the file content before opening outlook.

Thanks for helping.  Leslie

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 10:17:17 AM »
So, you have this 270MB file in your Outlook Express folder? And when you start Outlook Express, the sent e-mails don't show (the Sent folder is empty)?

Leslie

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 05:19:46 PM »
Problem sloved. Avast said delete files, but a friend who works at computers moved the trapped info to the desktop and fooled the computer into opening it some how.

The only thing was I had to resort my emails into files.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Leslie