Author Topic: Avast! Antivirus disabled temporarily at startup  (Read 6602 times)

nj57

Avast! Antivirus disabled temporarily at startup
« on: July 04, 2004, 12:16:48 AM »
I just began using Avast! 4 Home Edition on my computer running Windows XP Home, and I noticed that when my computer is first booting up, the Avast! icon in the system tray has a "disabled" symbol over it, and a few moments later, it becomes enabled. Is it normal for the antivirus to be disabled when the system is still being started? Does this cause a temporary lack of security during startup which would allow a virus to infect my computer? Are other antiviruses subject to the same issue? Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast! Antivirus disabled temporarily at startup
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 04:51:50 PM »
I think it's normal... The system started ashDisp.exe process (the 'a' icon on system tray) but could not finish to load all the providers and services.
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 05:08:16 PM »
Try using avast! Auto-Restart feature in my avast! External Control. If you don't get avast! to run,then its something wrong.
Also tell us or post screenshot of first (status) page in my program. It can tell us much about services and startup objects.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Cham

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 04:56:38 AM »
I have a similar issue during startup, I'm runing Windows XP Home and Avast 4.1 Home. After the desktop loads I'm unable to open or really execute any files until after Avast loads it's providers(checked disabled icon, 0 providers listed in tooltip) This includes me being able to connect to the internet as well, running 1.5M ADSL but requires log on through network connections. So for example if I were to double click the shortcut on the desktop after it loads it sits and gives me the working cursor for 45s-min 30s which is when the connection finally does display like it should. I thought it may have been due to trying to connect and check for updates right away but changed connection settings in program to dial up and problem still persisted. While this isn't anything that make the program not work the way that it should it's still a hinderance when I have a 30s startup that turns into all most a 2 min it really makes simple and quick things not so simple or quick. If there are any settings that I've overlooked that could resolve this I would much appreciate any help or guidance that anyone could offer, many thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 02:10:44 PM »
Cham, you need to set some things:

The way you connect: dial-up or ADSL at Connections (Advanced) tab.
You can set how many second must avast wait before try to update. See the link 'Settings' on my signature and browse a little into the configurations. Search for Section [InetWD] and value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds.

Hope this help...

Cham

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 10:06:36 PM »
I just checked the .ini for Avast and there is no key for AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds 30 Number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough, as mention in the setting link of your signature. Is this something that needs to commented into the ini? And if so would the format be 'AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60' ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 10:55:55 PM »
Yes Cham.
Add that line to your avast4.ini file.
Boot.
See if you solve your problem. Post the results  ;)

Cham

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 01:34:53 AM »
Nope no change tried values of 60,30,0 all of which still resulted in the same 60s wait from what should be a workable desktop, not being able to connect to my ISP. :-\ So anyone have any other suggestions. ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 09:40:32 PM »
Nope no change tried values of 60,30,0 all of which still resulted in the same 60s wait from what should be a workable desktop, not being able to connect to my ISP. :-\ So anyone have any other suggestions. ???

Cham, have you tried to 'repair' the installation (Control Panel > Add/Remove programs)
Or, if this does not work, uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Do you have (or had in the past) any other antivirus installed in your computer?
Do you use ZoneAlarm (firewall)/