Author Topic: Avast Installation  (Read 4297 times)

Daemon

Avast Installation
« on: July 05, 2004, 02:41:24 PM »
I have tried installing this program twice now, with the same results both times, I am installing the professional version in demo mode. it installs fine and updates itself, the problem is that once installed I can no longer use outlook express, IE, add remove programs. has anybody encountered this problem before?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 03:41:36 PM »
I have tried installing this program twice now, with the same results both times, I am installing the professional version in demo mode. it installs fine and updates itself, the problem is that once installed I can no longer use outlook express, IE, add remove programs. has anybody encountered this problem before?

Daemon, sorry, you are experiencing a trouble that could not be only related to avast.
Did you install any other antivirus in your system?
Do you use a firewall?

Outlook Express settings are changed to avast scan the messages. I don't think avast changes IE or Add/Remove applet settings. Can you post a little bit more about your problem... We can't help you this way.

Btw, which is your OS?
The best things in life are free.

Daemon

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 05:47:41 PM »
I am using windows 2000. In the event log there is the following error:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( Microsoft Internet Explorer ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: iexplore.exe, 6.0.2800.1106, ahascr.dll, 4.1.415.0, 00005c2b.

The problem clears up once I uninstall avast. so my only conclusion is that it is a problem with avast.

Daemon

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 05:52:44 PM »
I did have norton internet security installed the first time that I installed avast, however I have unistalled this and tried to install avast again with the same results as the first time. since I uninstalled norton internet security I do not have a firewall installed.

once I install avast and try to use use IE or outlook express I get asked if I want to run a script or active x componet from the page to be displayed, once I answer the program crashes.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 05:56:33 PM »
Daemon,

It appears that you may have a corrupted installation file.
At this point, I would do 2 things:

Go to the Avast site and download Avast Uninstall Utility and run it.  This will clear your system of any leftover files from previous installations.

Secondly, Download a fresh copy of Avast Pro demo.
Use the fresh copy for a new install.
Before trying the install, shut down all unecessary Windows programs except Explorer and Systray.
(Use Ctl-Alt-Del to bring up the Dialog box)

Next, look in the Avast Help file for instructions on configuring Outlook Express.  You must change the server address in OE to 127.0.0.1 (local computer) so Avast can scan email, and the username will also be modified using a # symbol.  All this will be in the help file.

See if this helps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 04:05:18 AM »
If it helps, you can download avast! External Control from RejZoR at the link 'Control' in my signature.
It can 'remove' traces of NAV before installing avast!
Your first installation, with NIS, was corrupted. Two antivirus at the same time  :(
Follow techie's intructions to have a clean, functional installation of avast!
The best things in life are free.

kubecj

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 11:41:53 PM »
This happens if the script checker is not registered properly.

Uninstall, reboot, install, reboot. Does it work now? If not, could you check file avast4\setup\setup.log for messages about ahascr.dll registration?

thanks,
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 11:45:09 PM by kubecj »