Author Topic: Turning off Avast! while updating windows  (Read 5737 times)

cagor

Turning off Avast! while updating windows
« on: July 12, 2004, 05:26:42 PM »
Me again - sorry  :-[

I need to do some Windows updates and they suggest turning off my AV while doing so. Can you please tell me which of these options I need to press:

Pause provider
Stop provider
Or stop on access protection & exit

Thanks very much

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Turning off Avast! while updating windows
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 05:38:41 PM »
Hi,

My personal habit -- and there's been debate about whether that's necessary, or even recommended -- is to pause the Standard Shield (which is set at High) when checking WU.  I've had occasional problems in the past with installation of upgrades appearing to lock up, particularly during the unpacking stage, if I leave the shield active.

Anyplace else I can scan the file after downloading and before running the installer, but of course WU treats download-and-install as essentially inseparable operations.  I guess you just have to trust MS -- and of course don;t forget to resume the shield afterwards.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

cagor

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 05:50:08 PM »
Thanks a lot Mike.

Hey, if I carry on at this rate, I'll soon have as many 'stars'
as you!  ;)

Thanks again, C.  :)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:31:33 PM »
cagor, just don't tell me you've got Microsoft updates by e-mail... Microsoft never sends updates through e-mail... Most likely - virus...

Be carefull...

gemofpa

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 12:48:30 AM »
Me again - sorry  :-[

I need to do some Windows updates and they suggest turning off my AV while doing so. Can you please tell me which of these options I need to press:

Pause provider
Stop provider
Or stop on access protection & exit

Thanks very much

Well, I did turn it off and now it isn`t turning to show it is working and I am very computer illiterate. I just want to get it running like it is suppose to without my interference. I keep clicking on start Avast! Antivirus and then this radio looking thing wants to run to clean out the viruses which I have 15 of...all`s I want is for it to turn  and turn like it did before to show it is working.. H E L P ! !

neal62

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 08:50:17 AM »
I have downloaded some Wins Updates using Win 98 2nd edition and have not turned off any of my Avast functions. But, I do admit it's probably best to pause the Standard Shield while getting updates. I may have been lucky a few times :D

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 09:49:29 AM »

MS Windows Update site has never asked me to turn off my av ... nor has there been a need for me to do so. In other words, everytime (at least once a month) I have visited and/or gotten downloads from there, they have all come in without a problem and with the av running.

BTW, I'm also using W98SE.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 12:05:10 PM »
No response from cagor in a while... probably picked up some viruses  ;D

Joke... I'm very serious about this... we all remember all those messages we used to get every single day from "MICROSOFT" (tons of them) telling us that we must update ASAP... everybody knows that Microsoft never ever sends updates to their customers via e-mail. That's why I mentioned that...

cagor

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 06:55:01 PM »
I'm still here lol, and no, she hasnt picked up a virus  ;)

No, I didnt receive any emails from MS (thanks for your concern S.Z.) but they suggested for one of the updates that my AV should be turned off. I'm running XP home edition if that makes a difference.

Thank you all for replying. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 08:09:17 PM »
My personal view has nothing to do with trusting MS, but being online (with my pants around my ankles {theoretically speaking}, feeling very vulnerable) for a long time updating your system.

The reason you are online in many cases is to patch a vulnerability and for that I would like to feel the security of my AV and firewall.

I would rather experience a problem with update and avast, than a virus problem because of turning avast off. To date I have had no conflict leaving my AV on whilst updating. If you do experience a problem you can always download the update/patch and install it manually offline later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 08:48:32 PM »
MS Windows Update site has never asked me to turn off my av ... nor has there been a need for me to do so. In other words, everytime (at least once a month) I have visited and/or gotten downloads from there, they have all come in without a problem and with the av running.

Very wise from all of you (including David).
The user don't have to turn of antivirus application while updating windows.
Anyway, the Microsoft patches could have some bugs or bring some troubles but are not a virus themselves  ;D
The best things in life are free.