Author Topic: Forum behavior  (Read 34915 times)

lee16

Re:Forum behavior
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2004, 09:15:50 PM »
there is always more than one way to handle a situation.

Most of the time that is true bob, but not always, violence just has to happen sometimes, or people get out of hand.
I never use violence as my first course of action, but it just has to be used sometimes, like in protecting your family and freinds.

--lee

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2004, 10:01:46 PM »
Hi Lee
but it just has to be used sometimes
My philosoghy is just a little different. That phraze sould be:
but it just may have to be used sometimes.
I don't advocate violence and will always attempt a peaceful solution if possible.
I also don't condone couardice and if there is no other choice, will fight like hell.
Hopefully that makes my position clear.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2004, 11:09:26 PM »
Whenever we are attacked, (any member reguardles of his or her standing) we should report that to the moderator and let them handle the situation.

This is the hard work of the Moderators  :-\
Sometimes you may prefer to be just a simple mortal  8)

By answering or challenging an attacker, we only allow them to win. I realize that it's never easy to walk away when you have been falsely accused. Unfortunately, sometimes it's the best cource of action to take.

I called this "survive" a lot of times... We must survive  8)
The best things in life are free.

lee16

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2004, 11:16:53 PM »
but it just may have to be used sometimes

True

By answering or challenging an attacker, we only allow them to win. I realize that it's never easy to walk away when you have been falsely accused.

You shouldn't just walk away, you should just stand up for yourself, otherwise people will take advantage of you, its doesn't have to invole violence, but don't let them win.

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2004, 11:27:32 PM »
However, from time to time I have the feeling that your fidelity is somewhat exagerated or annoying to the newbies.

Sorry  :'( From times to times we became fanatics  ;D

Therefore, I'd like to ask everybody for refraining from answers that suggest the user is basically doing it wrong (unless it is obviously the case). Please note that the forum rank does not reflect the actual expertise of the user -- even if he/she is an absolute newbie on the forum, his/her knowledge of the matter can actually be vast...

Try to learn before teach... I learned a lot here  8)

In the purely technical threads, it may be also worth asking yourself: do I really know the answer? Or is the stuff I'm going to post really relevant? If not, it's usually better idea to not respond -- otherwise the threads grow indefinitely and are very hard to navigate for the original posters. Thanks Vlk

This will be truth in all cases if the technical team be here more frequently... Sometimes we, who do not know a lot, just try to help and things could be worse... Sometimes, the only ones who try to help and solve the problems are the users. We try to do our best because we like avast, we trust each other feelings and fidelity, friendship and so on... Sorry if sometimes, trying to help, we (or at least I) make the things harder  :'(
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2004, 11:40:48 PM »
Just re-read the latest thread that got out of bounds:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=6206;start=0

What can we take from it?
Go figure. :P

Go figure ? I don't think so... it's this simple... read this... everything could ended in nice and cultural way, just like this:

Me: Could you please shrink your avatar ? It's a way too big for these forums. We all agreed to have smaller avatars...
Him: No problem, I'll modify my profile and set smaller one as my avatar.
Me: Thanks !

Go figure who broke the chain of pleasant conversation... I think it stoped after my first line... there is nothing like second line in his real reply. That tells us who stoped having normal conversation and started to flame...

Thanks !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:43:06 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Staind

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2004, 11:49:54 PM »
Oh, is my avatar - 125 x 94 too big?

KezzerDrix

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2004, 12:19:57 AM »
In my humble opinion, again ONLY MY OPINION.  I feel that the dude in "Craftec"'s case should have been given a stern warning and then the thread should have been closed.  Craftec even made the dude a smaller more appropriate Avatar.

LIFE

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2004, 12:38:05 AM »
Hi vik !

yes it make sense what you are saying if i or you no the answer of your own question you or i shut mebe not ask a technical qustion !

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2004, 12:44:50 AM »
Oh, is my avatar - 125 x 94 too big?

No Staind, your avatar is not much larger than some unofficial forum-avatar-size, so it can be used without any interfering with forum rules... it would be great if it can be 100x100 or smaller, but 120 and something is nothing comparing almost 200x200 pixels from above mentioned thread...

Cheers !

Gene Johnson

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2004, 05:46:07 AM »
If we all got upset everytime someone said something we didn't like, we would spend all of our time fighting. Learn to choose your battles wisely.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2004, 11:57:05 AM »
Again... I didn't get upset. And I didn't start the fight. Re-read my replies in that particular thread again. I was polite and I informed him in polite way. Accusing me that I got upset when I didn't, is nothing else than making me  equally responsible for that fight... I don't need that...

I just alarmed the guy not to use too big avatar becaue some of users are still using 640x480 or 800x600 pixels resolution. Think of those people... If they visit his posts they wouldn't be able to see anything ewlse on the screen except his "tiny" avatar - half of their screen...

And btw... for me, clever person is not the one who knows how to choose his battles wisely... clever person is the one that knows how to awoid battles and live in peace...  ;)

I guess, no one of us is that clever...we are brave or we are cowards. It's that simple... It's always easier to choose not to involve. You need guts to do that... sometimes person have to stand for his/her rights, especially if he/her was attacked, and especially if there is no one around to help and morally support (just few, I can count them on my left hand fingers, thanks guys/girls)...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 12:01:37 PM by .: SZC :. »

Gene Johnson

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2004, 04:39:20 PM »
Apparently Sasha,I said something you didn't like and now you have chosen to fight with me. My previous post is something my mother used to say to me when I would get angry at something she felt wasn't worth the time and effort. You seem to have taken it personal. Sorry if I offended you.

Gene............................

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2004, 05:29:55 PM »
How about let's all cool it, guys (and gals, although I don't think any were involved in this)?

This started out as a dispute with a relative "outsider", even though the person had accumulated a fair number of posts.  And Pavel was kind enough to assist in straightening things out, with also some helpful comments from Vlk.

Please, let's not get it started up again in the family.

Hugs all around, and best to all,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2004, 12:27:58 AM »
Apparently Sasha,I said something you didn't like and now you have chosen to fight with me. My previous post is something my mother used to say to me when I would get angry at something she felt wasn't worth the time and effort. You seem to have taken it personal. Sorry if I offended you.

Gene............................

No way. Totaly not right. I wasn't fight with you at all Gene. I really don't see the reason to do that. You said something, and I said something... that's all. Wasn't trying to turn this into some kind of verbal fight. I just said what is truth. I didn't wanted to fight with that guy, he showed us what he really meant... I informed him that his avatar is little too big, and he responded with "I don't like your skins, I will never use them, blah, blah, blah..." Like I care is he going to use them or hate them... I made them for all those who find them useful and neat looking, not for those who are here just to provoke.

Again, Gene... I really don't know what makes you think I'm fighting with you now ?!? That wasn't  my intention at all... if I said something that offended you, please forgive me... take my appology and we all can move on...

Cheers to everybody !