Author Topic: push feature  (Read 12640 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:push feature
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 12:23:00 AM »
Is it possible to start Avast update process with some kind of command line option?

The new iAVS update email announcements from Avast arrive very soon after the actual release, and my email system could start the update process automatically, if there was some updater program or command line option to use.

I think not... The iAVS update, as you can read in help files, is an automatic process. When you download the messages, the Internet Mail Provider recognizes the body of the message and the download of the update will start automatically. I think - although I may be wrong - it is not necessary any command line option or updater program to start it...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2003, 01:47:27 AM »
Here is the actaul definition and explanation of the ivas PUSH update process:

PUSH updates (Professional Edition only):
A special feature of the Professional Edition are PUSH updates. It is a dramatic change in the philosophy of updates. Usually, every installed program checks every now and then whether a new version is available. PUSH updates, however, are initialized by our server; they result in your computer quickly responding and performing the necessary update. The system is based on the SMTP protocol, i.e. on usual e-mail messages. The updates itself are controlled by the avast! resident e-mail providers (MS Outlook and Internet Mail).
The whole system if protected by asymmetric ciphers and is resistant to unauthorized misuse.

As has been explained here, in order of the PUSH to work effectively, it uses email, hence, a proper and complete email list must be compiled.
I have no idea when this will be accomplished, but be assured that it will be done!

"Implemented....Configured......Practical.....Is used....Was used.....Emergency situation.......Bah!!!!
ITS' NOT OPERATIONAL.........YET!   ;D

This feature breaks ground in the anti-virus update arena therefor, it will be operational as soon as practical.
(There I go with the legal lingo again.  ;)

Be patient.  All good things come to those that wait.

Techie's words of wisdom.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 01:48:36 AM by techie101 »

pekka

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 02:44:58 PM »
What I meant is that I already use similar "push" updates: When I get an email announcement that new virus signature files are available from (another) AV company, my Mercury32 email system (fetches emails every 15 minutes from my isp) automatically starts AV-updater.exe /silent /quit ( downloads and installs new signatures).

However this another company sends announcements hours after the update is actually released.
And I have noticed, that Avast sends announcements very soon after the release, so if I could manually start Avast setup with command line options like: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /updatevps /verysilent I would have my own automatic "push" feature working in one minute. Not soon...

I have had two occasions this year, when email viruses (Sobig.F and Swen) started to come in after just an hour or two after the database updates, so
I suppose that timing is critical in real life.

techie101

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2003, 04:27:40 PM »
Avast sends announcements very soon after the release, so if I could manually start Avast setup with command line options like: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /updatevps /verysilent I would have my own automatic "push" feature working in one minute.

Pekka,

I understand that you want updates right away.  WE all do.
However, as far as I know, in order for you  to use such a "command line option" if there was one, you would need access to the Avast server containing the DB.  
Access to the AVAST DB server is not at all wise, so I think you will need to wait until the PUSH feature is operational.

When done, it will be quick and fully automatic.  It will be well worth the wait!

techie
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 04:30:10 PM by techie101 »

pekka

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 05:20:57 PM »
Why is it not wise to access AVAST DB server?

When I get that announcement email about new databases from Avast, I read it and manually right click the Avast tray icon and choose Updating...iAVSupdate.
(And Avast accesses AVAST DB server and downloads and installs new database.)

How is this done?
Avast Setup info log:
Running setup_av_pro-118(280) ... with Cmdline: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /updatevps /silent /progress ...

And my question for the Alwill team remains: is it possible to start this same setup command line operation manually ?

techie101

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2003, 01:07:39 AM »
Why is it not wise to access AVAST DB server?
Sorry you misunderstood my comment.  I meant unrestricted, uncontrolled access such as that when an FTP is used with the server password to gain access.

And my question for the Alwill team remains: is it possible to start this same setup command line operation manually ?
I have referred your question directly to a moderator who may be able to clarify what you ask.

techie
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 01:08:46 AM by techie101 »