Author Topic: turn avast off , when doing system defrag?  (Read 14578 times)

adam

turn avast off , when doing system defrag?
« on: August 20, 2004, 06:11:09 PM »
when i am wanting to do a system defrag , how can i turn avast off? thanks adam

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re:turn avast off , when doing system defrag?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 06:19:00 PM »
adam
Welcome to the Forum.
Right click on the a and then follow the picture.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 06:27:18 PM »
And whats that good for? Defragmentation is performed on lower level so its not interfering with defrag tool in any way. avast! won't even scan files that are being defraged. So keep avast! enabled at all times.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 06:28:40 PM »
Hi adam,

Just right-click on the avast icon and select the "Close and exit" at the bottom of the menu.  This stops all resident providers, which are all you'd have problems with.  Don't forget to start them again afterwards.

Actually all you really need to do is (in that same menu) Pause the Standard shield -- none of the other providers should interfere with degragging.  Again, don't forget to resume it afterwards.

Sliightly off-topic, but closely related -- if you happen to also use Javacool's SpywareGuard.  While I don't think this is mentioned anywhere in its Help, Javacool recommends you shut that down too while defragging because of a history of problems.  Select Options, untick all three boxes, and Save Settings (your SG icon will become x'd-out), then Exit Program from its menu.

When you're done defragging, restart SG (from the deskton icon, or from the Start Menu), re-tick the 3 categories and save settings again, then close its window and it's back to normal.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 07:18:04 PM »
And whats that good for? Defragmentation is performed on lower level so its not interfering with defrag tool in any way. avast! won't even scan files that are being defraged. So keep avast! enabled at all times.

RejZor, do you agree that it will use CPU/RAM and, at least because of this, avast will make the defrag process slower... Even the screen saver (module of avast) will slow it down...  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »
No. Memory/CPU usage has nothing to do with this. It wont be any higher and wont slow defrag process or avast! scanning. In all 5 years of extensive computer usage i have never disabled AV during defragmentation because there is simple no need to do this. Defragmentation works on lover level then antivirus so there is no interference at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 07:58:23 PM »
No. Memory/CPU usage has nothing to do with this. It wont be any higher and wont slow defrag process or avast! scanning. In all 5 years of extensive computer usage i have never disabled AV during defragmentation because there is simple no need to do this. Defragmentation works on lover level then antivirus so there is no interference at all.

Thanks... I'm learning...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 09:23:50 PM »
Simply run defrag in safe mode.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 09:40:15 PM »
Again not advisable. It most probably won't even run the defrager and the second one is that safe mode uses generic drivers that work on most hardware but they also provide the same performance level(bad).
Defragging will take much longer thats for sure.

softwareguy

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 09:57:13 PM »
I agree with RejZoR.
In safe mode, Windows only uses PIO mode transfer.
Since defraggers uses sector based defragmentation, avast! does not scan any files that are being defragmented.
Unless you don't have enough RAM to run your defragger, you shouldn't have to turn off avast! in order to defrag your HDD. (You should upgrade your memory if that's the case :))

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 10:00:12 PM »
If you look at what people are running (services/applications), defrag in safe mode is for over 95% of the users faster than in normal mode.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 10:03:30 PM »
I assume you're talking about Win9x. On NT its far from being faster.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 10:08:57 PM »
Nope, also talking about NT based system. See the part where I say sevices? How many services run on 98(se)? ;D

lee16

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 11:30:37 AM »
Well i use win98 Se and i have to close many prgrams (all exsept Explorer and systray) down before i do a defrag/scandisk or they keep restarting themselfs.

I think this is limitated t win9x though.

--lee

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 11:41:17 AM »
Lee, applications and services are two diferent things. If you boot 98(se) in safe mode you will see only systray and explorer are running. If you boot XP in safe mode you will see more things running. Not only the XP equivalent of "systray and explorer" but also some services.

btw, with the current systems defrag will clean up the drive and makes the system run a little faster, but how many people notice that? A fragmented drive doesn't have such a great impact on the systems speed as in the old days. Configuring a system correct will increase speed more noticible.