Author Topic: not scanning mail  (Read 8485 times)

bz

not scanning mail
« on: September 28, 2004, 05:19:33 PM »
My system: avast! 4.1.418 italian edition, Windows XP sp2 (but I had this same problem before sp2), Outlook Espress 6. I also use a router adsl u.s.robotics and zone alarm firewall, but I'm sure they don't give any problems.
I've installed,repaired,unistalled and installed again avast! bat the problem there is always.  I think, first problem should be that I don't have the file called ashMaiSv.exe running in background... Could you help me, please?

markus0r

Re:not scanning mail
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 05:22:18 PM »
maybe your firewall (zone-alarm isn't the best version , imho) blocks it?

did you uninstall sp2? i heard of problems that internet/FW/AV make some problems if you first had sp2 installed, but then you de-installed it...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 05:28:19 PM »
Welcome to this board.

Try this:

- Setup OE as your mail provider instructs you.
- Close OE
- Run the mail protection wizzard. (start > programs > avast > mail wizzard)
- Open OE and check the settings for the pop3 and smtp server. They should be different now from what you set there. (let us know what it is now)
- Try to send the eicar test file to your self.

Let us know if the problem is solved. If not let us know what problem(s) you still have and tell us if there is any error in the avast log file(s)

bz

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 05:49:41 PM »
After I run and I set correctly avast! mail protection wizard, I open Outlook Express but I have the same setting pop 3 /smtp server in my accounts! So, I can use e-mail but antivirus don't scanning it.
I don't have ashMaiSv.exe running in background: how I can fix this trouble?
PS. I use zone alarm 5.1 (it's update!)
thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 06:01:30 PM »
start > control panel > software > add/remove > avast > change/repair
make sure you have the providers installed.

Click on the blue ball next to your clock in the system tray. Tell us what providers are (not) running.

bz

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 06:27:41 PM »
avast icon in system tray tell: 5 providers total, 4 running (not outlokk/exchange because I've Outlook Express, I suppose)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 06:30:28 PM »
Have you tried the eicar test file as I suggested? If so, what was the result?

The providers are running and from what you have told sofar everything seems to be working..............

bz

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 07:02:18 PM »
I tried to send to my self the eicar test file, I've used more accounts to send the file eicar.com buy I'm not received it (never).

bz

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 07:23:52 PM »
:-) ooops!
now I've receided all the mail with the eicar file included, but I've not received alarm by avast (not when I send mail, not when I received it).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 07:47:17 PM »
Ok, (I didn't respond right away as I suspected a little delay between sending/receiving). Try to setup the mail manually as explained in the Avast manual/help and as explained in many threads on this board. See if that is working.

bz

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 07:59:13 PM »
ok, I try to setup avast! manually: I hope to resolve with it !
thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 10:06:52 PM »
bz, just a guess, but when you run avast! mail protection wizard, did you choose Outlook/Exchange or other email client (2nd option)?
ashMaiSv.exe is the avast! scanning mail service and it will 'added' when you choose to automatically run it (it's an option in the mail protection wizard).  ;)
The best things in life are free.

bz

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 12:08:25 AM »
Finally, maybe now I understand the trouble: I think 'avast mail protection wizard' don't work probably! In fact, when I run this wizard and I choose 'other mail client' (second option),  then ashMaiSv.exe is stopped (now I run it manually at system start), the wizard is closed without another configuration choose. (and if I restarting outlook express the settings don't are changed) When I restart the wizard and I set it (at first window) to protect all my account, again the wizard is closed without choose to set. If the avast wizard don't work esactly, how I can repair it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 12:40:35 AM »
How I can repair it?

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > avast! antivirus
Change/Remove
A window will appear, choose 'Repair'.
If this does not help, repeat the process and choose 'Change'. Then see if the correct providers are well installed.

Can you try?
The best things in life are free.

bz

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 05:46:44 PM »
I tried it, but don't work :-(
I'll try to change my e-mail client (from outlook express to mozilla, for example) and I hope all system will work right...