Author Topic: 4.5 e-mail problem  (Read 35806 times)

jbmcmillan

4.5 e-mail problem
« on: November 13, 2004, 04:59:19 PM »
After the update today I get an error checking my e-mail saying thatserver rejected my username.I shut off e-mail scanning and it checks it fine with no errors.What's up? Anyone else having this problem?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:4.5 e-mail problem
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 05:07:42 PM »
Please read what I, Igor and Vlk posted in THIS THREAD.

Does that solve the problem?

uffbros

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 05:08:01 PM »
With the new version you no longer have to configure the e-mail so you have to go into accounts of your e-mail program and change them back to what they were before installing Avast..This would be the incoming and outgoing server info.

jbmcmillan

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 05:26:21 PM »
I have done all that here is the error.

Tipton

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 05:28:28 PM »
I am having the exact same problem with my Outlook express mail.  Same error message! I too re-configured my e-mail, and the problem is still there!

Tipton

jbmcmillan

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 05:40:52 PM »
I have just started using Avast a few days ago and was quite impressed by it until this.A few bugs it seems in the new version I usually wait to update for a few days on programs to see if this stuff happens but didn't this time and here is a perfect example why. ???

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 05:47:44 PM »
Could you please find the file avast4.ini in the folder
"E:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\Avast4.ini"  and post here the lines from the section [MailScanner]

It could be something like:

[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=
DefaultSmtpServer=
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 05:50:05 PM »
I have just started using Avast a few days ago and was quite impressed by it until this.A few bugs it seems in the new version I usually wait to update for a few days on programs to see if this stuff happens but didn't this time and here is a perfect example why. ???

What is your OS?
What is your email program?
Did you have to set it up manually to run with avast? If so you will probably have to reset it to what it was before avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

peterfu

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 05:51:23 PM »
Hi,
also using Avast since a few weeks - had no problem even with the beta Version.
May be You disable Avast and check if Your Mail client connects without using Avast.
If this is working enable Avast and it should work without any problems.
Personal firewalls may be also changed to give new Avast access to Internet.
br
Peter

jbmcmillan

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 05:52:12 PM »
[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=shawmail
DefaultSmtpServer=shawmail
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0
Here it is.

Tipton

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 05:55:17 PM »
Ok, I just un-installed Avast, deleted the Avast folder under all programs, and then cleaned with a registry cleaner. I then downloaded Avast 4.5 from the Avast website, and did a clean install. My mail is still not working!! It works fine if I terminate the mail scanner in Avast.

XP Pro
SP2
Outlook Express
Avast 4.5.518

Tipton

jbmcmillan

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 05:59:02 PM »
O/S XP Home
E-mail-Outlook Express
I never did any special setup of my e-mail client when I installed the original version about 5 days ago so I don't see why I have to do anything now.I actually have deleted the account and started over from scratch to no avail.Outlook exchange works just fine on the same machine but I don't want to use it as I have no need for all the bells and whistles it provides.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 06:04:13 PM »
Ok, I just un-installed Avast, deleted the Avast folder under all programs, and then cleaned with a registry cleaner. I then downloaded Avast 4.5 from the Avast website, and did a clean install. My mail is still not working!! It works fine if I terminate the mail scanner in Avast.

XP Pro
SP2
Outlook Express
Avast 4.5.518

Tipton
What are your OE account settings - Server Tab - Does it still show 127.0.0.1 for your POP/SMTP mail servers,  if so you will need to change it back to your original settings before avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tipton

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 06:25:33 PM »
Whats weird is half the time, it works. The other half, I am getting the error. The beta version ran fine on my system.

[EDIT] To say that I was running Sygate when I was using the beta version. I am now using Zone alarm.

Tipton
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 01:54:25 AM by Tipton »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 06:26:13 PM »
jbmcmillan: Right know I don't what could be the cause of your problem. Do you use any firewall? Some tool from your ISP or something like that?

We'll be working on a fix, ofcourse. Till then you can configure you mail via PopWizard as follows (protection will be the same as in version 4.1)

1) Open the file avast4.ini in "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\"
2) In the section [MailScanner] add the following line:
AutoRedirect=0

3) Run Pop wizard - that is
3a) change to the folder C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\
3b) execute ashPopWz.exe

4) in the basic settings dialog, choose Automaticaly protect all my accounts

5) default pop3 and smtp server leave on shawmail

This way you've disabled the new auto protect feature, and configured your account manualy.

Bye Lukas.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 06:26:58 PM by lukor »