Author Topic: Avast Systray Icon Won't Stop Spinning  (Read 5674 times)

jthomps

Avast Systray Icon Won't Stop Spinning
« on: November 18, 2004, 05:45:39 PM »
Hi, I'm running Avast Home Edition Build 4.5.523 and the Avast systray icon spins non-stop. Is this "normal"? I thought that before the latest update, that the icon would only spin when Avast was scanning a file, etc.

Thanks,

jthomps
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 05:55:46 PM by jthomps »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast Systray Icon Won't Stop Spinning
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 05:47:12 PM »
Correct, it only spins if there is something to scan. Since it is spinning constantly, check what is running and make sure your system is clean from malware (Instructions)

techie101

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 05:50:41 PM »
jt,

Is is the A ball or the i ball?

Both are for Avast.  The i ball can spin for a long period develping the VRDB database.

If the A is "stuck" scanning, it could be a file corrupted, or Avast needs "repair".

Simply go to Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove and double click on Avast.  Find the option to Repair and click it.
After it finishes, reboot the computer and try again.

;D

jthomps

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 05:57:47 PM »
Correct, it only spins if there is something to scan. Since it is spinning constantly, check what is running and make sure your system is clean from malware (Instructions)
Hi Eddy, thanks for the reply... I run Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D religiously... Neither detect any adware or malware installed on my system.

--
jthomps

jthomps

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 06:07:09 PM »
jt,

Is is the A ball or the i ball?

Both are for Avast.  The i ball can spin for a long period develping the VRDB database.

If the A is "stuck" scanning, it could be a file corrupted, or Avast needs "repair".

Simply go to Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove and double click on Avast.  Find the option to Repair and click it.
After it finishes, reboot the computer and try again.

;D
Techie101, I have the icons combined, but when I separate them, it's the "a" icon that is spinning non-stop.

I just noticed that if I open the "On-Access Scanner" and select the standard shield, that the files that are continuously scanned are:

C:\...\WANIPConnection_1[7]
C:\...\WANIPInterfaceConfig_1[4]

In both cases, the number in the brackets seems to change as the two alternate while standard shield is running... A quick google search lead me to believe that these are related to the Windows UPnP stuff... If I disable my "Internet Gateway" in my network settings, the Avast icon stops spinning.

I do have UPnP enabled in my Linksys WRT54G setup. Is this something I should disable or not worry about the continuous scanning by Avast?

Thanks,

jthomps

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 06:09:16 PM »
If it is annoying you or bothering you by slowing down your system, you can always add them to the Avast exclusion list. ;)

jthomps

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 06:11:07 PM »
If it is annoying you or bothering you by slowing down your system, you can always add them to the Avast exclusion list. ;)
Eddy, it doesn't really annoy me, I was just wondering what was going on... I run XP, so my system is already slow... :)

Thanks,

jthomps