Author Topic: "Chaining" avast! 4, Becky! Internet Mail and POPFile  (Read 7957 times)

mattsen

"Chaining" avast! 4, Becky! Internet Mail and POPFile
« on: August 21, 2003, 12:41:40 AM »
I get totally confused when it comes to port settings, etc., and it took me awhile to get my e-mail client and spam filter to work together, so you can imagine how much hair I've pulled out trying to get avast! into the mix, as well, to scan my e-mail.

Here are my current e-mail settings:
POP Mail Server: localhost
SMTP Server: smtp.earthlink.net
SMTP Port: 25
POP3 Port: 123

POPFile settings:
POP3 Listen Port: 123

(I'm using 123 as POP port since I have Hotmail Popper listening on 110 to pull Hotmail into Becky! e-mail, as well.)

I'm at a total loss as to how to add avast! into this setup.  Anyone?  ???
TIA

Offline jimbudler

• I'm a llama!
Re:"Chaining" avast! 4, Becky! Internet Mail and POPFile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 09:05:29 AM »
I get totally confused when it comes to port settings, etc., and it took me awhile to get my e-mail client and spam filter to work together, so you can imagine how much hair I've pulled out trying to get avast! into the mix, as well, to scan my e-mail.

Here are my current e-mail settings:
POP Mail Server: localhost
SMTP Server: smtp.earthlink.net
SMTP Port: 25
POP3 Port: 123

POPFile settings:
POP3 Listen Port: 123

(I'm using 123 as POP port since I have Hotmail Popper listening on 110 to pull Hotmail into Becky! e-mail, as well.)

I'm at a total loss as to how to add avast! into this setup.  Anyone?  ???
TIA

I'm also trying to chain Avast with Frontgate MX Spam filter. I suspect the answer will apply to that combination also.

Jim bUDLER

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 10:24:47 AM »
This change will put avast POP3 scanner between Becky! and POPFile:

in e-mail settings:
POP3 Port: 124
POP3 username: append #localhost:123 to your original name

in file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\Avast4.ini, section [MailScanner]:
PopListen=127.0.0.1:124

mattsen

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 02:07:12 PM »
No go, I'm afraid.  Changing the POP port in the e-mail client to 124 and changing the username as suggested (now giving the awkward pop.mindspring.com:username#localhost:123 as the field), as well as adding in the PopListen line (which didn't exist previously) as suggested only gets me an error that the e-mail client couldn't connect to server (localhost).

mattsen

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 02:10:57 PM »
Just in followup, please don't take any more time trying to help me troubleshoot this, as I've decided to revert to my previous AV and uninstall avast! ... it's much too awkward and slows the system down too much for my taste.  Thanks for your help.