Author Topic: Realtime scan of Firefox Cache  (Read 12933 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Realtime scan of Firefox Cache
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 02:11:00 PM »
Adding ? just scans files without any extension. Technical: Friendship again?

Thanks to Igor  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Fract504

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 02:22:35 PM »
OK, thanks to you both. Enough talk about this issue...

Adding ? makes me happy!
Unfortunately I don't know how to test if a virus is detected on this extensionless files... Is there something like an eicar test virus as an html-page. So an infected page which does not do any actual harm?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 02:24:24 PM by Fract504 »

techie101

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 03:13:53 PM »
Fract54, Vampiric_Crow

I can understand your question and can only add these few comments.  If it is possible to come up with a way to properly check "extention-less" files, then I am sure that the Avast Team will attempt to do so.

It is a very difficult task when most signature databases are designed to identify file extentions known to be used as virus carriers.

Eddy mentioned a method that is sort of a workaround, but at best is all we have.

As for the "tension" that seems to have developed here....
Opinions are respected and so are your's as long as noone makes a direct attack on another.

Keep in mind that the present state of Avast is the result of very hard work on the part of the developers, and many many suggestions by users such as yourselfs.

We are sometimes fanatical about Avast.  It is a very good product and freeware but it is not perfect and bugs do develop.  I realize that is so, but they are taken care of as soon as time allows.

Remember that the Avast Team is small but still keeps up the VPS files, works on new version releases and betas, as well as research new and innovative ways to safeguard your system.  In addition, they respond to support email, as well as work on this forum with the rest of us.  They may not "say" much at times, but they "hear" your suggestions.

Thank you for your opinion, and I hope we can keep the tone of this thread "cool"

Techie

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 03:17:56 PM by Techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 03:41:48 PM »
I don't agree with that kind of fanatism.
Technical: Friendship again?

I try to be friend of everyone here... sometimes, my fault, I could't. I think it's not your case.
I just complain when Alwil said they will have to work hard, they're trying to solve something, they're trying to do their best and, we, the users, stay here complaining, blaming, asking a million times for features... As everybody can see, it was discussed a lot in the past.

Fract, it's not you, again, it's just when I read comments about avast in this forum but specially in other ones and they don't know what they're asking, talking about, etc.
We must respect the company that releases avast for free and the differences between Home version and Professional one (although, in this case of extensionless, the Professional version won't help).

Just a bad day for me... Can everybody understand, I suppose... We all have bad days  :P
The best things in life are free.

Fract504

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 03:53:34 PM »
no problem technical.

As for the scanning of extensionless files:
I actually found a file called jpegcompoc.zip  here:
http://www.gulftech.org/?node=downloads

It is a picture with the know jpeg exploit, but besides crashing an unpateched IE it does not do any harm.

Avast detects this "virus" when the picture is renamed to a file without extension. So it would also be correctly scanned and detected in the firefox cache. It is detected as "MS04-028 JPEG Exploit"

So besides the ? extension, I will also add jp*,jif,jfif to the scanned extensions list. Or maybe just j*

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re:Real Time Scan of Firefox Cache
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2004, 12:33:04 PM »
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 09:43:47 AM »
Adding ? just scans files without any extension.

Actually, it scans files without any extension and files with one-letter extension. I hope it's not a big problem though...

Fract504

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 09:15:19 PM »

Actually, it scans files without any extension and files with one-letter extension. I hope it's not a big problem though...

No thats really no problem. As told I am happy with the solution!