Author Topic: On-Access scanner preventing software installation/use  (Read 9971 times)

serenity123

On-Access scanner preventing software installation/use
« on: December 16, 2004, 09:50:16 PM »
I've run into a problem installing software.  When I first tried the install, autorun wouldn't work and my computer would lock up.  I discovered that I could install the software if I turned off Avast!  However I have some software that (educational games) that plays directly from the CD and Avast! is blocking the use of this software.  Is there somewhere I can list these programs as exceptions so Avast! will allow them to play?  If so, please advise me.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:On-Access scanner preventing software installation/use
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 11:28:36 PM »
Is there somewhere I can list these programs as exceptions so Avast! will allow them to play?  If so, please advise me. Thanks

Right click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
Settings
Exclusions
Add the file (or use wildcards *)

Anyway, avast can't prevent programs to run... Are you sure it is avast which is blocking them? Why do you think so?

Welcome  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 09:48:57 AM »
What is your operating system and what are those programs you try to install?

serenity123

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 03:29:17 PM »
Thanks for replying so quickly. :)

I appreciate your replies.  I just figured out that the problem lies with the accounts I've created in windows.  I'm really not a newbie to computers but to XP and accounts.  The progs work fine in my (administrator) account but do not in the kids' accounts.  I did however, have to disable Avast! to install them.

Thanks for you patience :)

Serenity
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 03:49:49 PM by serenity123 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 05:40:28 PM »
The progs work fine in my (administrator) account but do not in the kids' accounts.  I did however, have to disable Avast! to install them.

What do you mean does not work into kids' accounts?

If the kids' accounts do not have administrator rights you won't be able to install software... It's not an avast problem but a Windows security limitation.

If the problem is on update, well, I noticed that you can only update VPS (virus database) and not the program itself into limited accounts in XP...  ::)

serenity123

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 06:00:08 PM »
Hi Technical

I'm going to have to do a bit of investigating and get back to you.  It may be a while as I'm a harried SAHM trying to get everything ready for Christmas as well as think through computer problems ;)

I'm running Windows XP sp2.  As long as Avast! is disabled I have no problems running the programs in my administrator account.  I haven't had the time to properly test this in any of the other accounts.  When I try to run Big Thinkers Kindergarten, School House Rock Math Rock, Freddy Fish, Knowledge Munchers w/o disabling Avast! autoplay doesn't work and my computer locks up.  I have to cut power to unlock it.  I believe it is Avast! because I only have the problem when it is running.  I've tried using the progs with and w/o Avast running and it's the same each time... works w/ Avast disabled, locks up w/ Avast running.

I thank you for your willingness to help.  I will return when I've had time to study this further.

Serenity

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 07:42:08 PM »
What exactly does it mean "turn off avast"?
Does it help when you stop the Standard Shield? If yes, is it enought just to "pause" it?

Does the problem occur only with the mentioned CDs? (I mean, do you have any other CDs that don't have this problem)?
Does the problem occur only when you run the program installation - can you access the files in another  way (such as copying the files to hard disk)?

serenity123

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 05:47:23 AM »
What exactly does it mean "turn off avast"?
Does it help when you stop the Standard Shield? If yes, is it enought just to "pause" it?

At first I was "stopping on-access protection" by right clicking on the icon in the tray then clicking "stop on-access protection" at the bottom of the menu.  I have found though that I can use the programs by Pausing through the on-access protection control in the same menu.  I have not tried pausing each item individually (Pause Provider) to see if the problem occurs with all providers on or just one in particular.

Does the problem occur only with the mentioned CDs? (I mean, do you have any other CDs that don't have this problem)?

I have not tried to install any other software on CD.  Music CDs and DVDs play with no problem.  I may be wrong but I just don't see 6 progs from different companies all being the problem.

Does the problem occur only when you run the program installation - can you access the files in another  way (such as copying the files to hard disk)?

I was able to install the programs (with the installation prog) by stopping the on-access protection as I described above.  However we cannot use the programs without pausing.  I haven't tried to copy the files.  In any case, I don't see that as a viable option.  This computer is new and I shouldn't have to go to all that trouble to install every program.

I hope I've answered your questions fully.  If not, please let me know.  In the mean time, I will see if I can narrow down the possiblilites by pausing individual providers.

Thanks,

Serenity

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 01:28:26 AM »
I have not tried pausing each item individually (Pause Provider) to see if the problem occurs with all providers on or just one in particular.

Can you test this? Thanks.

I was able to install the programs (with the installation prog) by stopping the on-access protection as I described above.  However we cannot use the programs without pausing.  I haven't tried to copy the files.  In any case, I don't see that as a viable option.  This computer is new and I shouldn't have to go to all that trouble to install every program.

Did you change any setting on the Behavior Blocker page of the Stardard Shield provider settings?

serenity123

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 07:38:28 AM »
This is what I've done and the results:

I noticed that the kids had only been pausing Network Shield and Standard Shield so I started here.

When both standard and Network shields were enabled the computer locked up every time.

When only the Network Shield was paused, the results varried.  At first the programs auto played with several seconds hesitation before playing.   Then they began to lock up the computer.

When Standard shield was paused, all programs autoplayed like they should.

When both were paused, all 4 programs autoplay like they should

Those tests didn't seem conclusive so I tried each test after a restart.

Both Standard and Network enabled:   Lockup

Network Shield only disabled:   Lockup

Standard Shield only disabled:  Autoplay like it should

My conclusion was a problem with the Standard Shield.

BTW  the Resident Task Settings/Blocker tab looks just like the one you included.  THe same settings are marked.  I haven't changed anything.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 01:44:58 PM »
I noticed that the kids had only been pausing Network Shield and Standard Shield so I started here.

Set an avast password to prevent this... (right click de 'a' blue icon and enable a password)

Both Standard and Network enabled:   Lockup
Network Shield only disabled:   Lockup
Standard Shield only disabled:  Autoplay like it should
My conclusion was a problem with the Standard Shield.

Which files are on the CD? I mean, which kind (extension) of files?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your computer?
Did you have in the past? Which one?

serenity123

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 02:22:45 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.  I looked at two CD's and they have several files with different extensions.  A few are PCX, D32, HEO, HE2, HE3, HE4, W32, DLL, MMS, EXE.

My computer is new so I have the preinstalled McAfee Security Suite.  I did test with McAfee turned off but as long as Network and Standard were both on, the computer still locked up.  I'm willing to test again, though, if you have a specific recommendaton.

You said:
"Set an avast password to prevent this... (right click de 'a' blue icon and enable a password)"

I'm not trying to stop them from doing this.  This is what they had to do to play the games without the computer locking up.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 03:49:55 PM »
My computer is new so I have the preinstalled McAfee Security Suite.  I did test with McAfee turned off but as long as Network and Standard were both on, the computer still locked up.  I'm willing to test again, though, if you have a specific recommendaton.

You must be sure you uninstall all antivirus parts of the Suite or, on contrary, it will conflict with avast and lockup  :-\ :'(

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 05:47:04 AM »

Yep, there's the problem. Uninstall McAfee Security Suite and all should start working as it should.

serenity123

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 05:49:38 AM »
I'm not an authority on firewalls but will I be putting my computer at risk by uninstalling the McAfee Firewall.  I think XP has a built-in firewall ? but is it enough?

Just wanted to check before uninstalling.