Author Topic: Trying new Skin  (Read 10861 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Trying new Skin
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 04:56:21 PM »
If you play around BIOS a bit,you should squeeze some extra horsepowers from your Athlon :) Other components are fine for 2D usage (programs and not games).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

a61_a61

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 05:27:05 PM »
I have a correction to make.  It was a while ago that I timed the start up and it was 27 sec's.   Never paid much attention to it since then.  I just did a time sheck on it and now it boots in 49 sec's , I don't think that's too bad.  It could be SP2 slowed it down some.  I may try out the Startup Delay program to see how it works out.

The applications still load as fast as they did before though.  The only tweaking I did to XP was to turn off some of the services that I don't need.   Used the info from "Black Vipers" site.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 05:35:54 PM »
Major boot slowdown is a network card (LAN card) without addressed local IPs and/or DNS IPs. When you enter those your boot can get shorter for about 30 or even 60 seconds

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 06:51:59 PM »
Major boot slowdown is a network card (LAN card) without addressed local IPs and/or DNS IPs. When you enter those your boot can get shorter for about 30 or even 60 seconds

What do you mean...?
If we have a network card (on-board LAN for instance) and it has a dynamica address, could it be the 'bad guy' on booting and shutting down?
And if we have static IP, will it help?
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2004, 06:58:28 PM »
No,your final connection IP doesn't make any difference.

Local IPs are important.
Oh and this is just for Windows 2000/XP.

On system boot,Windows initialize LAN card so it gets appropriate IPs to work. Initialization can take pretty long (even up to 60seconds).
If you enter your local IPs into LAN card settings,Windows won't have to initialize itb and boot will be shorter.

Open Network Connections,rightclick on your LAN card and select Properties.
Select TCP/IP protocol and Properties.

Set local IP adreess to 192.168.0.1 (or appropriate if you have your own local network)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

You can also enter DNS IPs if you run DSL connection directly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2004, 07:10:58 PM »
Set local IP adreess to 192.168.0.1 (or appropriate if you have your own local network)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

You can also enter DNS IPs if you run DSL connection directly.

I use this... Maybe is why my boot is faster than others...
Thanks RejZor for the explanation  ;)
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 01:47:26 AM »
Trying out the new skin and noticed something never seen before.
Why does the Skin show that the "Resident Protection" is set on High?  The only thing that's turned on in aVast is the "Network Shield", I have no need for the other items to be turned on.

Actually, skin doesn't show anything. Skin is just skin as it says in the name. What you see inside display panel, it doesn't have to do anything with skin anymore. Those information are controled by the avast! code. What Alwil did, and why it's set on High even if you enable only one provider, I have no clue. You have to ask them...  ;)

Also what is the #1 mean?  When the mouse is on the #1 when  scanning the mouse turns into the hand cursor, when not running the cursor is a pointer.

#1 means nothing. It's just static part of the skin (bitmap), and has no function at all. I speciafically and carefully made that area in blue halftones, to match rest of the static skin area... in other words, it should be very obvious that little square with number 1 inside, has no function at all... it looks like permanently disabled. If you take a look at "active" buttons, you'll spot that those icons are very colourful and "alive". Skin is called SZC-KDE. That also shows that I tried to make one skin Linux-style-looking. Everyone who ever tried Linux KDE, would recognize that little window. In KDE, it shows that first screen area is activated. On this skin, it's just decoration.

Hand cursor ? Personaly, I never saw that hand cursor, because I'm sure I made everything to disable that hand cursor in all my skins, especially in this latest one... anyway, area that starts from where the little square with #1 is, all the way to button HELP, is dragging area. It allows you to dragg avast! window (skin) around your desktop...

Hope this cleared it...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 01:52:35 AM by S.Z.Craftec »