Author Topic: Thunderbird set-up  (Read 52896 times)

watchthisspace

Thunderbird set-up
« on: December 27, 2004, 12:07:26 AM »
I just installed Thunderbird, and I was wondering how do you set it up to send/recieve email from Hotmail and Gmail?

lee16

Re:Thunderbird set-up
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 12:10:45 AM »
First get Mrpostman from the link i just gave you

--lee

watchthisspace

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 12:12:27 AM »
I downloaded that, now what?

lee16

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 12:23:31 AM »
Ok first of all for your hotmail go to tools>account settings then click add account, choose Email account, then in identity put your name where it says your name, then put your hotmail address for the email address (username@hotmail.com).
For server infomation, check 'pop' and 'use globle inbox', then for incoming server put 'localhost''.
For user names put your hotmail address again (username@hotmail.com)
Then the same for account name

The your account will be under 'account settins', so click on server settings for your account and change the port to 11110, and make sure 'use secure connection (ssl)' and 'use secure authentication' are unchecked.

The click ok, then get mail, it will ask you for your hotmail username and password, put them in and it should get your mail.

*note* Make sure 'mrpostman' is open while getting your hotmail.

--lee

watchthisspace

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 12:27:46 AM »
I got up to the put localhost for the incomming server then I got confused, and what do i do with mrpostman? Do i need to put anything for the outgoing server down the bottom?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 12:28:24 AM by watchthisspace »

lee16

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 12:35:28 AM »
I got up to the put localhost for the incomming server then I got confused

Well after putting 'localhost' in the box, press next/ok and carry on with what i said (put your account names for the next two steps of the wizard).

and what do i do with mrpostman?

Nope its fine as it is, anless you don't want it starting up at boot time, in which case you will need to change it using hijackthis or mscongif i believe.

o i need to put anything for the outgoing server down the bottom?

Yes, its for sending emails with Thunderbird, but u havn't told me what account you want to use for it yet (would be easyiest with gmail)

BTW, is it recieving your hotmail alright?

--lee

watchthisspace

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 12:38:17 AM »
I put localhost and then clicked ok,next but it said  please enter a valid hostname?And was Mrpostman a program? because I got a bunch of scrpit files.
did you want my email address?

lee16

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 12:42:20 AM »
Ok, its getting late (near 12 at night here), so ill make this quick for the outgoing server because i want to go to bed.

Go to tools>account settings and set it up like the pic below.

*notes* by username i mean your personal gmail username
CLick 'write' in thunderbird to send mail, (it may ask you for your gmail username and password again)

--lee

lee16

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 12:43:16 AM »
I have to go, ill have to explain the rest tomorrow ok.  ;)

--lee

watchthisspace

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 12:44:36 AM »
I'll let you get to bed, I did what u had in the pic then I re-set up my account, its worked ;D
But I get an error saying "sending of username did not succeed.Mail server localhost responded: no POP server defined. Use real server address instead of 127.0.0.1 in your account" does anyone know what this means?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 12:59:20 AM by watchthisspace »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 02:34:29 AM »
Board bug  :P
When a thread is moved to the Announcements forum it is not closed for posts  ;D
The best things in life are free.

lee16

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 11:29:58 AM »
But I get an error saying "sending of username did not succeed.Mail server localhost responded: no POP server defined. Use real server address instead of 127.0.0.1 in your account" does anyone know what this means?

If you are getting this message when sending your email with Thunderbird, then log into gmail and go into settings and enable gmail into a pop server. (this has to be done anyway to recieve gmail anyway)

--lee

lee16

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 11:49:30 AM »
Ok, just read back and noticed you  were having problems with 'mrpostman', that is your server error problem, and i have also noticed i gave you the link to the script files rather then the installer, the real link should be below
(you just need to choose a mirror):

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mrpostman/install-mrpostman-1.0.1.jar

Once its installed the GUI will look like the pic attatched below.

--lee

watchthisspace

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 12:56:33 AM »
Thanks for the link, Do I need to keep those scripts? and I was getting that error when I was checking for new messages.
EDIT: there seems to be no installer inside that .rar file  ???
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 02:50:09 AM by watchthisspace »

lee16

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 11:36:12 PM »
watchthisspace

I have only just got back home now, so i am able to help if you need any more help with setting up Thunderbird, did you manage to work it out on your own?, do you need help still?, please ask if you do need some help, im glad to advise.

--lee
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 11:38:03 PM by lee16 »