Author Topic: cannot access control panel  (Read 8482 times)

Aliqux

cannot access control panel
« on: August 28, 2003, 03:51:03 AM »
Hey I am running windows 98 and installed acast, now I cannot access any contol panel programs.  I thought I had turned off all protectionary methods but I guess I havent.  I even tryed to go into safe mode but that didn't work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:cannot access control panel
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 05:01:21 AM »
I have installed avast once in Windows 98 but this behavior did not appears...
Hmm, I´m gessing what the CPL files from Control Panel have gone away... Did you make any customization of avast options? Did you try to uninstall and install again?
The best things in life are free.

Aliqux

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 06:50:59 AM »
I tryed to uninstall but I cannot access that featuer on my contro panel, and I cannot find the uninstall featuer on the program.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 03:16:50 PM »
Try to download the avast! Virus Cleaner Tool.exe at http://www.avast.com/files/eng/aswclnr.exe
and run it!
If you need more freeware aplications (most of them for XP, sorry), see http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=834;start=0

I´ll think another way to access the Control Panel but I have a XP system not a 98 so...
Good luck. Stay with us and avast...  :D
The best things in life are free.

Aliqux

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 03:41:45 PM »
I ran a virus scanner and found an dcleaned 2 viruses within my system, but I still cannot accesws my control panel.  it still just gives my the message access to file denied.  I am also, I just noticed, getting the error message this is not an win32 application any time I try to run an executable file(will referance back to ()andyshaw post on april 22nd..  

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 03:51:54 PM »
What virusscanner found what Virus?
MfG Ralf

Aliqux

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 04:16:55 PM »
I had to run Panda Active scan, because all executable would not work.  I am not sure what virus it found as is now becasue I am an work and cannot access my computer at this time.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 04:30:06 PM »
Yes, that will hapen if the Malware add its nameto the exe-call in the registry. If you delete the Malwarefile,  windows try to execute it before starting any Exe-file but can not find it and so windows gives you a message that it can not find the "malwarefile". Maybe there are some entries leftover in the registry, whichyou have to fix manuall.

It would be helpfull to know the name(s) of the Viruses Panda deletes, to find out which entries it has modified.
MfG Ralf

Spook

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 04:57:04 PM »
I tryed to uninstall but I cannot access that featuer on my contro panel, and I cannot find the uninstall featuer on the program.

The "Add/Remove Programs" Panel is:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\APPWIZ.CPL

Just double-clicking on that file should start that file up  ;)
That is, if your registry is not totally messed up  :o

HTW!