Author Topic: Problem at first start of Avast  (Read 3450 times)

raney

Problem at first start of Avast
« on: December 31, 2004, 01:36:48 AM »
Hi I am very confused. I am a newbie, I loaded Avast yesterday and then immediately uninstalled it, and that is when my computer got veeery sloow. Can enyone help me with this. I can only get onto the internet after about five minutes of waiting, I have 42 programs running in Windows Manager, can I delete those exes in the process tab? is that normal ??? And is there any way of solving this problem? I have missed yesterdays work, am missing work right now, and will probably miss work tomorrow.
I liked the virus scanner feature, and would probably use that instead of doing the full download of Avast 4.Home, I don't think I will try that again, until I am more familiar with these types of programs, it just seemed to have an overwhelming amoutnt of features, and would require some more time to learn.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Problem at first start of Avast
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 01:50:17 AM »
If you completely want to uninstall Avast, use the uninstall util from the website. But I suggest to install Avast and spend a little time reading the help, the website and this board to make yourself familiar with the options it gives you as user.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 02:00:17 AM »
rany,
I will do my best to answer your questions.

I loaded Avast ......and then immediately uninstalled it, and that is when my computer got veeery sloow.
Um....How did you uninstall Avast?  Did you have any other Antivirus software on your computer before Avast?
What is your OS?  Sometimes, if an installation is not successful, a computer might run slow until Avast is repaired, but you said you uninstalled it THEN it ran slow.
Right?

I can only get onto the internet after about five minutes of waiting
Do you use Dialup or DSL?  

I have 42 programs running in Windows Manager, can I delete those exes in the process tab?
You can delete any program which you do not want to start with windows.  It is hard for me to tell  you which ones to take out without the list.

is that normal ???
 Normal for who?  Each user's computer is different, and each user's needs also.  I presently have 30 in process.

And is there any way of solving this problem? I have missed yesterdays work, am missing work right now, and will probably miss work tomorrow.
Hope your independently wealthy.  ;D  I don't know what all this has to do with you and work  ???

I liked the virus scanner feature, and would probably use that instead of doing the full download of Avast 4.Home
I would not recommend that you try to run one without the other.  The virus scanner is a valuable tool and works in conjuction with the resident and email scanners.  You can tailor Avast to run what you want, but I highly recommend that you keep the email scanner, standard shield, internet module and virus scanner.
You can take out one or two of the scanner modules to speed it up a bit and release some memory, but you should keep the others.

I don't think I will try that again, until I am more familiar with these types of programs, it just seemed to have an overwhelming amoutnt of features, and would require some more time to learn.
Really, Avast is not difficult to learn at all.  Once it is set up, it does pretty much what it needs to do without you.  It can update the database and program automatically, move infected files to a safe area for examination or deletion, and will scan your email for viruses by itself.  Nice huh!

WE are here to help you get it up and running.

If you need more information, go to the Alwil site at www.avast.com and read up on Avast.  Avast also has a great Help file once installed to carry you along.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 02:01:50 AM by Techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 02:38:03 AM »
Thanks Techie... I wouldn't make it better  8)
The best things in life are free.

niko

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 01:56:11 AM »
Hi Raney,
Reading Techie101'post you can realise that there's no forum like Avast! forum. You can trust Avast! team to help you. BUT please, give good informations concerning your setup ;)

raney

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 05:06:32 AM »
I feel better, my computer is at the baby stage of being sort of like it was before, after a reinstallation of Windows XP.  Also thanks to you all for your help, it is nice to have a human being respond.  Happy New Year 8) to explain a bit more what I was doing when computer got slow, I think that I needed to perform some basic maintenance tasks earlier, such as having an antivirus program, as I had a gap where I didn't have McAfee, which was annoying me and blocking my hotmail, and also which I only had a trial with my new computer. So I have been running it without any antivirus software at all for two months.  :-[ Anyways, I looked at dell's website and some other people had problems on XP with uninstalling things, that was solved by reinstalling and then uninstalling again, and that might have been it, and I shouldn't blame Avast at all. I think that might have been the problem, and I didn't give it a chance by trying that. I know also that I should probably have given you guys more specific information by using some sort of program like HijackThis, to show what happened. Maybe next time. Na Shledanou if any of you are czech, I taught in czech republic for a year. -Raney

niko

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »
Hi Raney, nice to see that you find a solution :)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 02:57:38 AM »
If I can use Avast anybody can  ;D ;D