Author Topic: Free Home Edition Questions  (Read 4872 times)

sg_in_nc

Free Home Edition Questions
« on: December 31, 2004, 04:55:32 PM »
HI..not sure if this is the right place to post but anyway..I have a Celeron 633,15g drive and min memory(64) DSL, Win ME OS.Also running SpywareDoc software. After installing, avast/spywaredoc this computer can't handle constant monitering that avast/spywaredoc performs.Very,very slow.Start up programs have be minimzed,yet about 5 min bootup process.Internet connecting is like on dial up again.Have read forums,have turned off all features possible on SpywareDoc and Avast(using Standard Shield/Outlook Exchange only). Can I do anything more with your program to help this situation.. Ready to make a boat anchor out of this computer and buy a real one!!

Thanks
Mark

Fast

Re:Free Home Edition Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 05:36:08 PM »
Maybe an extra bit of RAM could do the trick ?
I think (but I am not sure) 128mb is the minimum for normal performance.
No need to buy a new pc when for lets say 30 euro you can double your RAM memory.

Fast

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 05:40:46 PM »
Is your system 100% clean from malware?
What other applications/processed are running?

Do you mean Spyware Doctor from PC Tools or another?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 05:43:58 PM by Eddy »

sg_in_nc

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 05:44:27 AM »
Fast, I would gladly install more ram but this is a Compaq and they only have 64MB cards @ $100 USD. Would end up w/128 but feel that is just a gamble...might not solve the trouble.

In answer to your question Eddy, I have the system running on selective startup w programs not needed to boot disabled.If it were not for this no telling how long it would take to start.Forgot to mention I do have Sygate's personal firewall running also.

The SpywareDoc is from PC Tools and have checked for malware/viruses with this program,avast and others from various sites offering online cks.Did find and remove some trojans.. which Norton missed I might add!! Have also gone to hyjackthis and removed unnessesary items they found.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 05:54:02 AM »
For the boot proces, give Startup Delayer a try. It solved the slow boot problem for many people.

Removing all providers you don't need from Avast may also help a bit to make the system "faster".

I guess you have a Compaq EX26xx.
64Mb stick is about 20 euro.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 06:01:50 AM by Eddy »

sg_in_nc

Re: Free Home Edition Questions
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 10:57:33 PM »
Thanks Eddy....giving the delayer a shot. I think this is helping...just need to get it set up right

As for your quess on my model..Compaq Presario.I'll never buy from them again!! Now my cd-rom has died..hope I don't have to get one through them!