Author Topic: Privacy of Cloud and Reputation checking. Increasing Privacy  (Read 1688 times)

Offline jayk119

I asked this once before. I use Avast software regularly and am concerned with the connection of my IP address to the records indicating what websites I'm visiting. What type of information is being stored in this way? Also the reputation service logs all my downloads correct? It's just an area of concern for me. Can Avast be made more private by disabling these services?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Privacy of Cloud and Reputation checking. Increasing Privacy
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »
As said before, I don't know what cloud services you mean exactly - in any case, you're free do disable whatever you like.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Privacy of Cloud and Reputation checking. Increasing Privacy
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
You've already been answered in your other thread.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99973

Your ISP keeps a log indefinitely of every connection made from your IP, and must give it to government authorities if a court order is issued.  In certain circumstances and in some countries, a court order is not required.

If you routinely accept cookies, you are already leaving a crumb trail of your visits.  This information is gathered by those setting tracking cookies, and sold to anyone willing to pay a small fee.  Better put on your aluminum foil hat and hide from the black helicopters.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner