Author Topic: Unusual event in IE  (Read 18455 times)

Quietheart

Unusual event in IE
« on: December 31, 2004, 08:20:48 PM »
I have 2 problems actually, and I couldn't find a solution to either in FAQ or on the forums.
The first, My IExplorer (all currently updated with windows update) won't load frames. It shows that its trying to access 127.0.0etc and then shows the white "web page error page" that says "Action Canceled".
I've uninstalled Avast, it still tries to access avast server IP 127. etc when loading a frame. I used the add/remove programs to remove it and the avast uninstall untility, Ive reinstalled IE several times, still have the same problem with frames trying to access avast IP.

The second problems is an email problem.
I have more than 1 email address. Avast will check incoming mail on them all just fine, but the changes avast makes won't let me send email except from the 1 main address. I get an error about password on 127.etc. I already followed the steps in the FAQ about outlook express and sending mail. This didn't help.

Any ideas? Ive tried everything I know on both of these problems.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Unusual event in IE
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 10:22:32 PM »
Which is your operational system?
Do you use a firewall? Which one?

The first, My IExplorer (all currently updated with windows update) won't load frames. It shows that its trying to access 127.0.0.1 etc and then shows the white "web page error page" that says "Action Canceled".
I've uninstalled Avast, it still tries to access avast server IP 127. etc when loading a frame. I used the add/remove programs to remove it and the avast uninstall untility, Ive reinstalled IE several times, still have the same problem with frames trying to access avast IP.

Make sure your proxy settings are "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

The second problems is an email problem.
I have more than 1 email address. Avast will check incoming mail on them all just fine, but the changes avast makes won't let me send email except from the 1 main address.

Do you need smtp authentication? I mean, your smtp server is different from your ISP server? With Windows 2k\XP, avast 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. Can you make a try and see if it's ok? Thanks. New email detection is automatic and do not require user interaction.
The best things in life are free.

Quietheart

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 10:33:10 PM »
Which is your operational system?
Do you use a firewall? Which one?

I am currently using win98se, and no firewall at present. I'm just resetting up the computer and haven't gotten to that yet.

Make sure your proxy settings are "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

*nod* They are no proxy.

Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

This is on autodetect.

Even after uninstalling avast, and reinstalling, reinstalling IExplorer as my browser and even installing firefox as a separate browser its still checking 127. for web pages.
Ive now reinstalled Avast, but frames are appearing "blocked" and say the same as my previous message, like something is "Stopping" the loading of frames. Hope that helps.

Do you need smtp authentication? I mean, your smtp server is different from your ISP server?

Yes one of my sets of emails is on a different smtp server than my ISP, the other set is on the same smtp server as my main email. Nothing works but the main default email for scanning outbound mail. I have turned off outbound mail checking and it works fine on inbound mail and sends outbound mail fine when I manually selected only check incoming mail in the mail wizard. *hope that makes sense*.

With Windows 2k\XP, avast 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. Can you make a try and see if it's ok? Thanks. New email detection is automatic and do not require user interaction.

As I said above, Im using win98SE maybe thats the problem?

Thanks so much!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 10:44:08 PM »
This is on autodetect.

Change it to 'No proxy' as I stated before...

As I said above, Im using win98SE maybe thats the problem?

No precisely... It's different. If you have Windows 98\Me, the change of the login settings is normal while using avast. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;board=2;threadid=7913;start=0#msg64228

Man... I'm leaving for the New Year...  8)

Quietheart

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 12:36:27 AM »
Ok the email is fixed, the only thing not the same as the forum post you listed said to do was heuristic was not medium. I set it medium and it works fine now. Thank you.

Turning the update basic settings to no proxy did not fix internet explorer not loading frames though. It does try to load them twice, one right after the other with the same screen coming up that something stopped it if thats at all helpful. Regular web pages go through the same IP and have no problem loading.

Go have a nice new year celebration :)

Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »
Ok the email is fixed, the only thing not the same as the forum post you listed said to do was heuristic was not medium. I set it medium and it works fine now. Thank you.

Nice...  :)

Turning the update basic settings to no proxy did not fix internet explorer not loading frames though. It does try to load them twice, one right after the other with the same screen coming up that something stopped it if thats at all helpful. Regular web pages go through the same IP and have no problem loading.

In fact this is due to IE options, both Security and Advanced tab of settings have options for frames. avast will scan frames too but I can't figure out 'exactly' what you can't be able to see and display in your browser  ::)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 03:24:21 PM »
t shows that its trying to access 127.0.0etc
That only would happen if:
1] you are running a http server on that system
2] the system is infected with malware
3] you have changed the hosts file
4] Windows is changed/damaged in a very very strange way

Quietheart

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 09:15:18 PM »

In fact this is due to IE options, both Security and Advanced tab of settings have options for frames. avast will scan frames too but I can't figure out 'exactly' what you can't be able to see and display in your browser  ::)

I checked IE options, security, it appears avast put in custom settings, so I guess what is being "blocked" must be something that is in there. From further looking last night, it appears what its blocking is some type of advertising "Frames". Especially occurs on lycos and tripod web pages. So as long as that is all it is, It's not important. In the beginning I had no idea what was supposed to be in these "blocks or frames" that said "Action canceled".

Thanks again.

Quietheart

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 09:17:14 PM »
t shows that its trying to access 127.0.0etc
That only would happen if:
1] you are running a http server on that system
2] the system is infected with malware
3] you have changed the hosts file
4] Windows is changed/damaged in a very very strange way

I am not running an http server.
The system was just reinstalled and Ive run ad-aware and spybot repeatedly.
Since I have no idea what hosts files are, that's not what happened.
Windows is just a big virus anyway right? *smile* So since its a new install I guess anything is possible.
The ip the browser is checking is AVAST IP 127.0.0.1 , the same one it put in my email settings.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 09:31:10 PM »
I checked IE options, security, it appears avast put in custom settings, so I guess what is being "blocked" must be something that is in there. From further looking last night, it appears what its blocking is some type of advertising "Frames". Especially occurs on lycos and tripod web pages. So as long as that is all it is, It's not important. In the beginning I had no idea what was supposed to be in these "blocks or frames" that said "Action canceled".

Thanks again.

Avast doesn't change any settings in IE Options > Security, any changes have been as a result of user input or IE Security Update/s making security changes to the settings.

Recently there has been an update that has been related to an iFrame exploit, that may have made some changes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Quietheart

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 10:15:03 PM »

Thanks again.

Avast doesn't change any settings in IE Options > Security, any changes have been as a result of user input or IE Security Update/s making security changes to the settings.

Recently there has been an update that has been related to an iFrame exploit, that may have made some changes.

Interesting because they were never set at custom before. Oh maybe its spybot that added those changes now that I think of it.
But that still doesnt explain why its checking Avast IP 127.etc Oh well, thank you all for your quick and informed help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 03:36:38 AM »
Interesting because they were never set at custom before. Oh maybe its spybot that added those changes now that I think of it.

Most probably.
SpyBot could change them. avast can't.

But that still doesnt explain why its checking Avast IP 127.etc Oh well, thank you all for your quick and informed help.

Sorry, I'm lost and it's late  ;D :-[
What is being checked? avast is changing your settings for 127.0.0.1?
Are you running Mail Protection Wizard...?

Quietheart

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 06:19:44 PM »

Most probably.
SpyBot could change them. avast can't.

Sorry, I'm lost and it's late  ;D :-[
What is being checked? avast is changing your settings for 127.0.0.1?
Are you running Mail Protection Wizard...?

Ok the mail is fixed *points at post up there somewhere*.

The second problem was in Iexplorer not loading some frames. It appears these frames are advertising though.
When Iexplorer tries to load these frames , it attempts it twice, at the bottom it says connecting to 127.0.0.1, and then the frame comes up saying "action canceled".

In security in Iexplorer custom settings are there, I think now put there by spybot. Spybot maybe stopping the loading of these frames/advertisements (not popups). What that doesnt explain to me is why its contacting avast ip, ( the one it put in for mail ). Because it was contacting that IP when trying to load the frame, I assumed Avast had something to do with it.

Unless somehow spybots blocking is telling it to check avast?

It doenst make much sense to me at this point, honestly. And since it appears to just be advertising frames (not popups) it's not a big deal ultimately. It does it most often on tripod/lycos sites.

Hope that summed it up better. As I said at this point, Im not very concerned with fixing it. I am curious though as to why it says connecting to 127.0.0.1 at the bottom of my browser just prior to canceling this action.

Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 06:22:53 PM »
Could it be Avast's script blocker?

Quietheart

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 06:39:07 PM »
Could it be Avast's script blocker?

Aha!
As I am extremely new to Avast, I obviously don't know for sure, but considering what these frames did prior to avast, one in particular being a java frame/advertisement, that makes sense.

Thanks