Author Topic: Unusual event in IE  (Read 18504 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Unusual event in IE
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 09:50:35 PM »
Aha!
As I am extremely new to Avast, I obviously don't know for sure, but considering what these frames did prior to avast, one in particular being a java frame/advertisement, that makes sense. Thanks

Which version of avast are you using?
Is it the Home (free) or Professional (and Trial) version?
Script Blocker is present only in Professional (or Trial) versions  :)
The best things in life are free.

Quietheart

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 09:55:10 PM »
Which version of avast are you using?
Is it the Home (free) or Professional (and Trial) version?
Script Blocker is present only in Professional (or Trial) versions  :)

*tosses out that idea*
I'm using Home (free). But I checked several other things and something is blocking advertising pages that run things *shrug*. I logged on several chat programs that have advertising frames that run java or something and those are blocked as well.

As I said, what is curious is that its connecting to the 127 IP before it blocks. Maybe just coincidence.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005, 10:05:41 PM »
Could it be the Internet Explorer settings for pop-ups?
Could it be your firewall (which one do you use)?
The best things in life are free.

Quietheart

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2005, 11:47:44 PM »
Could it be the Internet Explorer settings for pop-ups?
Could it be your firewall (which one do you use)?

I never put in any settings in Internet Explorer for popups, as I run a separate popup blocker and these aren't popups that it would recognize. It only recognizes popups that are separate windows. These are frames within the web page im attempting to view.

I am not currently running a firewall.

I think this one may have to just stay in the heading of "Weird happenings" heh.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2005, 12:59:35 AM »
Can you try to open this page and tell us exactly what happens?
http://members.home.nl/edeijl/ache/frames.htm

If you can, can you give us a example of what website isn't opening correctly?

Quietheart

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2005, 01:23:12 AM »
Can you try to open this page and tell us exactly what happens?
http://members.home.nl/edeijl/ache/frames.htm

If you can, can you give us a example of what website isn't opening correctly?

Your page opened just fine, no problems at all.

Example of a web page doing this:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/wyverncabochon/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=75cd462a6f9be15ce439bb905535d912

There is a "frame" on the right hand side. That's one place where it's doing it. It attempts to load it twice, both times it says connecting to 127.0.0.1 and then I get an action canceled message on that frame part. Normally there is a frame full of links and advertising there.

Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2005, 01:38:19 AM »
I jsut tried that link you gave.

Opera : Didn't showed the bar on the right
FireFox : Didn't showed the bar
IE : Didn't showed the bar

No sign of anything connecting (or trying) to 127.0.0.1
Avast's logging set to maximum, nothing in the log file(s) about it.
PopUp blocking enabled.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 01:53:47 AM by Eddy »

Quietheart

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2005, 04:59:59 AM »
I jsut tried that link you gave.

Opera : Didn't showed the bar on the right
FireFox : Didn't showed the bar
IE : Didn't showed the bar

No sign of anything connecting (or trying) to 127.0.0.1
Avast's logging set to maximum, nothing in the log file(s) about it.
PopUp blocking enabled.

Ok thank you very much. Obviously it's not avast and the connecting im seeing is unrelated to the area not loading.
Again, thank you for all of your quick and appropriate replies that did fix my mail problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2005, 03:06:13 PM »
I tried the link with firefox and I believe I can see the column on the right (for ads, etc. see image), so it would appear that there is something there
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Quietheart

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005, 04:36:45 PM »
I tried the link with firefox and I believe I can see the column on the right (for ads, etc. see image), so it would appear that there is something there

Yep that's the one , It used to load , now I get what Ive described above.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2005, 05:13:21 PM »
Then it is possibly a settings issue as it worked previously for you in IE (some of the recent IE security updates {iFrame possibly} may have changed the IE settings.

Since it worked for me but not Eddy using firefox, then that too could be settings also. But why you are getting the 127 issue you have is beyond me.

Perhaps its time to give firefox a try :)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2005, 05:22:36 PM »
Since it worked for me but not Eddy using firefox, then that too could be settings also. But why you are getting the 127 issue you have is beyond me.

about the 127... Still puzzeling me ???
The other thing is definatly a setting issue imho. As I said, I had popup blocking on and for IE (forgot to mention that) also Avast script blocker on.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 05:29:29 PM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2005, 06:22:48 PM »

about the 127... Still puzzeling me ???

Eddy, I was referring to Quietheart's problem (quote below) with 127 (unless of course you too can't see why that would happen to Quietheart).

There is a "frame" on the right hand side. That's one place where it's doing it. It attempts to load it twice, both times it says connecting to 127.0.0.1 and then I get an action canceled message

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2005, 06:30:07 PM »
Only thing I can come up with is that something is redirecting the webpages to localhost or that one of the standard email ports are used to get webpages.

Last one is highly unlikely, not imposible, but it would require a very out of the ordinary setup.

For the first one, it could happen if one is running his/her own server. But I never saw Quietheart mentioning anything about that.... So also not likely. I asume if he did, he would already mentioned it.

I think it is something simple that is overlooked. (setting in IE or other security util?) or that he is mistaken the message about the 127 IP. (that it refers to something else and not webpages)

Other than this, I can't come up with something that would make sense. Too bad I can't take a look at his system.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2005, 06:52:05 PM »
Now that you mention "(setting in IE or other security util?)," it is possible that this could be some form of utility to block ads using the Hosts file to block certain locations/ad strings and routes them to the local host 127 (to avoid downloading them and since nothing exists on the local host, nothing is displayed).

But since Quietheart didn't mention content/ad blocker utilities, this could be clutching at straws, but checking the host file wouldn't hurt.