Author Topic: shall i get rid of ONE NOTE  (Read 2393 times)

agentstar

shall i get rid of ONE NOTE
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »
I WENT IN MSCONFIG  startup  and unticked  groove monitor so as to get rid of it from  task manager

i also want to get rid of one note (i think its part of OFFICE thing  ..shall i do that, to get rid of it? because i am not a computer expert i only use word to write letters etc  i am not using forms etc....

i am thinking of getting rid of it because if a hacker gets into my computer he can use the command things to type in and access things there ? is it a security risk item for me ?

SafeSurf

Re: shall i get rid of ONE NOTE
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »
The proper way to uninstall Groove Monitor, which is part of Office, is to go to Add/Remove Programs, and remove it that way.  By going to start up, you only removed it from Start up, which it automatically does anyway.  Reboot.

To uninistall One Note, which is also part of Office, https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote-help/install-or-remove-individual-office-programs-and-components-HA010354261.aspx. Reboot.

Keep in mind that unless you have another program similar to Word or Office, you will not be able to write things.

is it a security risk item for me ?
Anything is a security risk.  Browse the forums to learn more and feel free to ask questions.  We are here to help you learn and help those with problems.  Having Avast as an Antivirus (AV) or AIS (Antivirus with Firewall) is a start.  But there are many other things you can do to keep yourself safer like having a good firewall.  Start learning by browsing the forum and doing searches here on the forum.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: shall i get rid of ONE NOTE
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
Hi agentstar,

I agree with SafeSurf and also think this is over-reacting to a security risk that may only be a remote possibility in a conditional far-off scenario.
As I said before to you. Updating and patching your OS and third party software is a must. Take the full scan here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/
Keeping your residential av software updated and running with all services (shields etc.) up, aided by non-residential MBAM and SAS anti-malware completion for instance will have your back covered for essentialy the greater part of online threats. In-browser security like a decent script blocker like NoScript, Request Policy add-ons and for instance ABP extension with maleware domains full list installed will complete your overall online protection. Unless you do not willfully dowmload and  install questionables there is not much that can harm you., Well you can minimalize that risk through pre-scanning or coming here for a second op before you download proggies or executables.

Stripping off of the normal legit software on a computer to avoid a security risk is starting safe hex  from the wrong end.
If that is your philosophy start using a txt only browser, like lynx txt browser) on a linux machine or disconnect from the Internet alltogether and you are safer.

Also don't forget when you are on a "Windhoze" computer and you are chosen to become a vicitim for a personal intrusion attempt by hackers, there is not much that can help/deliver you, as was demonstrated in previous years by Flamer etc. before it became general knowledge.

So be real, all round computer security OK, but your online experience should be fun and should not be driven by paranoidal fear,

polonus
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:43:35 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!