Author Topic: [Solved] Never received a single Streaming Update  (Read 9194 times)

stormer

[Solved] Never received a single Streaming Update
« on: June 26, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
Solved: See my solution: Post #19

I'm back again using Avast.

I have 5 computers in our home network, all of which use Avast 7 (either upgraded or clean install). All have never received any Streaming Updates.

Windows 8 RP 64-bit (Clean install Avast 7) - 2 Shields only, custom.
Windows 7 64-bit (Clean install Avast 7) - All Shields
Windows 7 64-bit (Upgrade from v6) - All Shields
Windows 7 32-bit (Upgrade from v6) - All Shields
Windows 7 32-bit (Upgrade from v6) - All Shields

It sometimes shows as connected, but always show "---" for Latest update received.

I really would like to get Streaming Updates, or help or something. Or is there a reason why I don't get them? A setting/configuration? Router firewall settings?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:37:51 PM by Av-As-T »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Never received a single Streaming Update
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »
Have you got the virus definitions set to Auto, that is a requirement for streaming updates ?

I would check that the avastUI, Settings, Updates, Proxy Settings is set to Direct connection (no proxy), rather than the default Auto detect (use Internet Explorer settings).

Have you checked the defs sub-folder and see if any are present (see image), this is mine but when the next VPS update occurs 120626-0 the stream sub-folders are removed as the next VPS contains them.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stormer

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 01:37:22 PM »
I haven't any C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\*_stream folders, but I will try setting it to Direct Connection (No proxy), and report back later.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »
Hopefully that is going to do it as for some reason avast may not be able to get access to the IE proxy settings (even though there may be none set).

That said, it would only account for problems connecting early in the boot process and that would show in the standard auto update process ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stormer

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
I've let it run on that setting for a couple of days, and no luck.

Sometimes its says Connection Established other times Connection not established, and --- for latest received updates. No \*_stream folders either. :/

Could it be a firewall setting on the router be stopping it?

Thank you for the help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
I don't know if it could be a firewall/router setting, but I would have thought that it would use existing services, etc. to download the streaming updates.

The problem as an avast! user I don't know exactly how it does this, so I can't say for certain, I have checked my firewall logs for roughly the same time that my streaming update was done (very shortly after boot) and unfortunately that actually happened before anything was logged in my firewall log.

I have on occasion not had a connection established, but that isn't a frequent occurrence.

true indian

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »
I am not sure...but it wont hurt checking this out...

Open IE>>Tools>>internet options>>connections>>Lan settings>>does the setting in my screenshot match with yours??

Reset your avast settings>>UI>>Settings>>troubleshooting>>restore factory settings...

and even if that doesnt work try re-installing avast...remove avast by following instructions here:

www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

and then re-install avast!

Hope this can help! :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:44:51 PM by true indian »

stormer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »
I don't know if it could be a firewall/router setting, but I would have thought that it would use existing services, etc. to download the streaming updates.

Sorry for my long time absence.

I haven't had any luck in streaming updates, I don't use Avast Free on my computer anymore, but I will keep check on the other PCs on this network that use Avast 7 Free.

Nevertheless, thank you for trying to help.

stormer

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 08:10:13 PM »
Hello again.

Back with installed Avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1482, and now updated to 8.0.1483.

I have Allowed it through my Windows Firewall (on Windows 8 x64), but still the same issue.

Could this be a Router (Firewall) problem?

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
Have you tried connecting one of the computers directly to your modem? This will help rule out any router problem.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:33:02 PM by Charyb »

stormer

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 03:52:56 PM »
Yes, I have one PC connected directly to the Router and it still has not got any Streaming Updates connection.

Also I have used Avast Uninstall Tool multiple times before upgrading new avast! releases (5, 6, 7 and now 8). I also have used NRT as extra precaution after uninstalling NAV2013, which expired a week ago.

I haven't a clue what the problem could be, as you can tell the year I started having this issue.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

stormer

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »
Yeah, I ran NRT after uninstalling Norton AV default uninstaller (+ reboot) and run as admin.

Can I ask, is there a requirement for Streaming Updates to work, because my siblings laptop has Streaming Updates working, but only not connected to this (home) network.

So I'm thinking it's related to the home network set-up from the router, but not sure how to solve this issue.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »
VPS updates must be set to auto in order to receive streaming updates.  Check in Settings in the upper right hand corner of the AvastUI on the update tab.  Unless you've blocked some ports and/or IP addresses in the router that Avast needs, the router shouldn't be a problem.  Can you surf the web normally from behind the router?

If you have any custom settings in the router, you could reset the router to default (save it's configuration to a file first).  Only set up the router's WiFi security, change it's admin password, and be sure that Remote Administration is turned off (that's usually default) and nothing more.  See how that works.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
Since the OP has not stated if they are using "direct connect-no proxy" I'm asking it again?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.