Author Topic: Free version sandboxing while I'm trying to game  (Read 2592 times)

Eggi

Free version sandboxing while I'm trying to game
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »
 :-[ I work in IT and have for years recommended both the free and paid versions of Avast, free for home users and paid for business users. I swore by it, said it wouldn't hog system resources and that it would do a great job protecting their computers. I used it on all my computers and have loved it, UNTIL the latest update. I have uber fast internet because both my son and I game, we usually have multiple browser windows open, and most of the time he is streaming some of his games. But after the latest update of Avasts free version I have been experiencing major lag, at first I thought it was something else I checked speeds and stability of my connection and that was fine, did a check of my system well everything there seemed to be running ok and then when I went to open up a new game I had started playing (Tera) Avast blocked it and said it was running it in sandbox mode. Well I have the free version on my home computer and when I checked sand boxing was supposed to be a paid option yet here I was being trapped by this. I tried shutting off every option I could each time I ticked a box to shut something off I would try again, so now not only was I experiencing major game lag but one game it wouldn't even let me get into, even after I added the game its file location its website everything to the safe applications web sites to be allowed. After pretty much shutting everything off in Avast and still having trouble getting the game to run smoothly including the other online MMO's I try to play I uninstalled Avast as my last test. The games then loaded fine played fine, no lag no hic ups no delayed 5 minute response times (yes that is a bit of an exaggeration)

Avast really was one of my favorite applications it did exactly what it was supposed to do run in the background unnoticed stop viruses and when one slipped through clean it up. But now I find it completely unusable, the free version that I reinstalled after making sure everything avast had been removed from my computer so that I would be sure to get a good clean install once again trapped me in the sandbox, WoW lagged so bad no matter where I was (playing beta or live) and Tera or anything else I tried to do it would lag out because it was sandboxing even though I did my best to get that shut down. Unless someone here can tell me how I can get Avast to behave like it used to I will have no choice but to remove it, which means I'm going to have to help my family remove it from their computers (as I recommended it to everyone) and find a better anti virus that isn't going to cause trouble with doing things we either want or need to do.

I need my game time, work is stressfull I need to go home and after taking care of things there I NEED to be able to hop on and kill things over and over! LOL I don't need to fight my antivirus to let me play, I'm all growed up now and don't need someone monitoring every move, in other words I need to be able to get it to filter what I want it to and leave my gaming alone, yes I tried silent gaming mode as well but that doesn't stop it from trying to run the game in the sand box. Very frustrating.

Help please? I really don't like the idea of doing the research to find a good antivirus that I can trust.
Eggi

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Free version sandboxing while I'm trying to game
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:02:58 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum.

this might do it https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1045&nav=0,2,337

you can chance the settings on the sandbox to ask if it is not on . then when you launch the game and avast popup you could set it to launch in normal mode and remember this. unless it something about the game that avast finds suspicious.

is what i can recommend.

good luck
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Eggi

Re: Free version sandboxing while I'm trying to game
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions I did try all of that and what you suggested as well, it did finally let me get Tera open but again the lag I experience while trying to play is too much to even enjoy the game, I make a couple clicks then sit and wait and of course depending on what I might be fighting I may be dead by the time it releases.

I thought sandboxing was supposed to be a paid option, I have the free version and was under the impression it didn't sandbox. Any other suggestions? I would like to be able to keep Avast but the lag while playing is not worth it to me.