Author Topic: Windows Defender and Avast Free  (Read 5420 times)

avastuser0

Windows Defender and Avast Free
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
I have bought a new laptop with Windows 7 and I would like to ask if Avast Free disables Windows Defender  automatically during installation. Should I disable Windows Defender manually before installing Avast? Or maybe there is no problem running Avast and Windows Defender together?
Thanks.

SafeSurf

Re: Windows Defender and Avast Free
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
There is no problem in running Windows Defender (WD) along with Avast, but to be honest with you, there really is no need to run WD at all since Avast is so much stronger and the updates are more frequent.

What is your OS?

Do you have any other security programs on your machine: on-demand or resident?

avastuser0

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »
My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium and I am going to install only Avast Free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
Good...save your memory and don't bother with WD.  However you may want to install Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM) as either an on-demand or resident scanner.  It does not conflict with Avast and works differently from an AV.  You can download it from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »
I have bought a new laptop with Windows 7 and I would like to ask if Avast Free disables Windows Defender  automatically during installation.

Only on W8. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
I have bought a new laptop with Windows 7
as Safe surf already asked......was it deliverd with a preinstalled AV from the factory?

avastuser0

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
I have bought a new laptop with Windows 7
as Safe surf already asked......was it deliverd with a preinstalled AV from the factory?
It has a trial of Mcafee, but I will uninstall it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
it is recomended that you run a removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict

run and reboot - http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/