Author Topic: Program update 7.0.1451  (Read 268339 times)

Nawach

Re: Program update 7.0.1451
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »
Hi everyone,

Same problem as StaticGuy here, with Win XP SP3 Home Edition.
At first start, everything seems to load correctly, then WinPatrol warns me about "new" IE helpers and add-ons, that have been installed for ages (it starts with Avast WebRep interestingly).
Then, font display is corrupted in the task bar, icons appear and disappear when browsed on and off

EDIT:
Not quite sure what happened here...? My problem seems to have fix itself without any intervention from me, except a 5th or 6th reboot in Safe Mode. It's been 15min and everything looks fine.
I took the opportunity to check "load Avast services after system services" in the Settings section. Don't know if it will help in anyway, actually...

Will keep you in the loop if anything changes

I had spoken a bit too quickly after the edit.
Of course, the same issues started again after 30 minutes or so.

Long story short: I uninstalled using AswClean. exe and reinstalled v. 7.0.1426.
A few hours have gone and nothing popped up on my screen yet.

I'll wait now for the next update, will wait for a few days, check the threads here beforehand... and won't trust Avast! blindly ever again.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »
And again my XP computer hangs at the desktop after update and reboot.
Had to boot into safe mode to uninstall avast!

As "usual" I hope an uninstall and then a fresh install will fix this (of course I have to set up all options again too, and register)
But I cannot imagine why is should be so hard to do an update without messing up.

This happend every time the avast program is updated :-(
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Shaun985

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »
Can other XP SP3 users chime in on 1451?  Is it causing problems for you as noted by Nawach two posts above and also in this thread here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100359.0

I don't know if it's a memory leak or what the problem is but it has happened on three of my XP computers after updating to 1451.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:41:01 PM by Shaun985 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »
...of course I have to set up all options again too...

Not, if you would have saved your settings before. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
Then I had to do that before I updated....
Where is the option for doing this anyway....
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Herrminator

« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2012, 09:41:34 PM »

Not, if the 'Backup/Restore Settings'-feature would actually work...  :-\
I'm getting:
Code: [Select]
Error while importing settings.
The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.
even, if I'm trying to restore settings I saved seconds earlier...

Offline Shaun985

« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2012, 09:42:51 PM »
Nawach, this is apparently due to a memory leak that's why it happens after an uncertain period of time.  See my post above for link to thread on this issue.

Hi everyone,

Same problem as StaticGuy here, with Win XP SP3 Home Edition.
At first start, everything seems to load correctly, then WinPatrol warns me about "new" IE helpers and add-ons, that have been installed for ages (it starts with Avast WebRep interestingly).
Then, font display is corrupted in the task bar, icons appear and disappear when browsed on and off

EDIT:
Not quite sure what happened here...? My problem seems to have fix itself without any intervention from me, except a 5th or 6th reboot in Safe Mode. It's been 15min and everything looks fine.
I took the opportunity to check "load Avast services after system services" in the Settings section. Don't know if it will help in anyway, actually...

Will keep you in the loop if anything changes

I had spoken a bit too quickly after the edit.
Of course, the same issues started again after 30 minutes or so.

Long story short: I uninstalled using AswClean. exe and reinstalled v. 7.0.1426.
A few hours have gone and nothing popped up on my screen yet.

I'll wait now for the next update, will wait for a few days, check the threads here beforehand... and won't trust Avast! blindly ever again.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
1. Then I had to do that before I updated....
2. Where is the option for doing this anyway....

1. Yep.
2. Settings -> Maintenance
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Alain_Le_Bel

« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »
Bonsoir, je viens d'avoir un appel désespéré de ma belle fille.  :'(
Connectée pour la première fois à internet cette semaine, je lui ai installé Avast Mercredi.
Ce soir elle a eu une demande de mise à jour, avec Windows trust 3, (XP).
Depuis les textes des icônes disparaissent et même les textes dans la boîte de dialogue Avast !  :o
Elle a réussi 2 scan, un rapide et un lent sans rien trouver d'anormal.
Par téléphone je lui ai rappeler le Ctrl F4 pour fermer les programmes et l'ordinateur car au plus elle attend au moins il y a de menu qui fonctionnent !  :-[
Demain matin je vais aller voir et essayer de réparer en supprimant Avast, j'aurais les copies d'écran que j'ajouterais sur ce site.
J'ai prévenu les services Avaste, ma version payante ne m'a pas encore invitée à mettre à jour mon Avast...
Merci !  ;)
Je suis désolé mais mon texte se transforme lors de sa validation !  :-\
Je viens de trouver, c'est du à ma traduction automatique...
Merci !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:04:28 PM by Alain_Le_Bel »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
Please post English here..!! Thanks.

Else: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=23.0

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2012, 10:08:31 PM »
Very smooth update via GUI from 1426 to 1451.
No issues at all on XP SP3 Professional. :)

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
Thank you for Avast Free 7.0.1451

Offline jvidal

« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
The problem with the autosandbox it's that it attempts to sandbox about 50% or more of the programs I run, which are all 100% completely safe, but still it closes them, it's incredibly annoying. I ended up disabling the autosandbox completely, it's just too disruptive.
Just set the auto-sandbox to Ask instead of Auto. Then you will have the option to run a file normally which will add it to the sandbox exclusions and that file will never be questioned again.

I have it set to "ask', still, it prompts me to sandbox just too many progs, that's why I ended up disabling it altogether...It can't be right that the sandbox finds about 80% of programs "unsafe", whatever the reason.
You must be using a lot of obscure things then. Mine has only wanted to sandbox a few things in the past but those same things, IMGBurn for example, are not detected any more even without having an exclusion.

No, not obscure at all. Examples: the winrar installer, the seamonkey installer (more precisely,a temp process it starts), several games, codestuff starter, Teracopy, wordzap, a utility called "zipmax", trojan remover (for god's sake!!! avast shouldn't interfere with malware removal, it should help!), SUMo, doomsday, stella atari 2600 emu, finalburn x64, micro64 (c64 emu), ultimate bruce lee (a bruce lee remake),etc,etc,etc.

I will give you starter, because it can mess up system services or start-up items. But of the rest, NONE of them is even remotely dangerous... I really would like to know who or what sets the criteria for sandboxing progs.

PLEASE tell me why are this programs so "DANGEROUS" to my system? Or why is their "reputation" or "prevalence" so low. Who or what  the hell determines a file's "reputation" or "prevalence"? it seems completely arbitrary to me...

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »
I believe the words are "may be dangerous" and therefore are requested to be run sandboxed.
Most of us don't run so many obscure programs. You apparently do.
I found "zipmax" on fileforum going back to 2005 - I would consider that obscure.  :D

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline petr_matrix

• Avast team
  • avast! programmer
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »
@gazzawazza: please turn off self-protection (Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Enable avast! self-defense module), download & replace these files in your avast program folder:
Please let me know if it helps. Thanks!

from avast! 7, supported outlooks are outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010
however, it couldn't crash, I look at it next week

Hi Petr Matrix

Thank you for the reply.

This is very disappointing news that Outlook 2002 is not supported. I have looked on the website and could not find any information saying this though. Perhaps this should be stated for the benefits of customers?

Also, the Mail Shield does 'appear' to work in build 7.0.1426 - I have multiple email accounts, including 2 which use SSL and Avast 7 appears to scan emails (the mail shield counter increases, etc).

When you say that Avast does not support Outlook 2002, in what way does it not work?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi gazzawazza,
it is a small misunderstanding. Avast and its mail shield supports all versions of outllooks, but only avast! addin for outlook (and its options in mail shield at section MS Outlook only) is supported in outlook 2003 and newer. If you are not connected to an exchange server with outlook 2002, you have no problem and you are full protected.