Author Topic: Avast Program Update Slows Window Login Time CONSIDERABLY?  (Read 6332 times)

Berxerker

Avast Program Update Slows Window Login Time CONSIDERABLY?
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
After updating to program 7.0.1451, my laptop had to restart (Avast pop-up). I then proceeded to restart my laptop, and when I turn it goes back on, I notice the windows "Welcome" screen hangs on for much more than usual. I seem worried, and after clicking the "Finalize Update" Avast pop-up, I shut down. I leave it for five minutes, then I turn it on again. The "Welcome" screen just hangs around for 25 seconds or so, when it used to only hang around for like… 2-3 seconds!

I haven't installed ANYTHING but Avast program update lately, should I just System Restore to a bit hours before this issue? It really gets on my skin… has anyone had this?

Berxerker

Re: Avast Program Update Slows Window Login Time CONSIDERABLY?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:23:55 AM »
I am just going to make a System Restore to yesterday (hadn't installed anything today).

The REAL question is: will the System Restore rollback Avast too?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Avast doesn't really like system restore, best to perform a clean install of avast - download and save a fresh copy of avast 7.0.1451 and the removal tool http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, uninstall current avast via remove programs then reboot into safemode and run the removal tool, reboot back into normal mode and run CCleaner to tidy up, reinstall the new saved avast.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:05:03 AM by craigb »

Berxerker

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
Ok, currently reinstalling Avast and redownloading.

After uninstall, I have to say my machine booted faster and logged in faster than usual. I am downloading Avast again, hoping the problem is gone. I have to ask though, why was this? I understand that Avast can clog boot time with start-up protection, but I can't simply understand why does it want to take my precious login time.

If I leave the computer on the login screen for like 15 minutes, and I try to login, it's the usual 3 seconds.

15 MINUTES.

So much time lost, coffee breaks ain't that long.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
You upgraded to a beta version of Avast, therefore you can't go back unless you uninstall to get rid of the remnants.  With one of the Avast versions, the files were put in a different place on the PC, so this may have made a difference with some machines.  I'm not saying it did in your situation, but if things are running smoother, this is a good sign.

Which version of Avast are you using now?

Berxerker

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
I am rebooting to test the login "delay" level, if it's acceptable I'll see what to do next.

I have Avast version… I forgot. Lol. It's certainly not 7.0.1451 though, one before that?

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:03:03 AM »
The version before that should be 7.0.1426.  Is that what you have?

If you still have problems, you can always try opening the Avast GUI > Troubleshooting > Load Avast Services only after loading other system services...and see if that helps.

Let us know how it works.

true indian

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
Its necessary to keep your avast up to date...please try re-installing avast 7.0.1451 as craigb suggested.. :)

Berxerker

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »
Yep. It's 7.0.1426, and so far, the only problem I've experienced is a slow Windows Login Screen loading (you know a black screen with cursor that appears before the log-in screen? It lasted more time than usual now) but when I rebooted again it seemed to go away.

*sniff* Update Avast? *sniff* Really?

@SafeSurf: wouldn't that make Avast's rootkit detection on boot useless? If it can't detect rootkits since its being loaded after all services and programs, then I dunno… I am a virus paranoid.

Anyways, will cross my fingers and hope for a good update.

Last time I updated through the Avast UI, by clicking "Update Program". Any recommendations?

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »
I personally do not do updates, I do clean installs.  And I also prefer to not load Avast services after other services because I want the AV protection, but this has worked for other users so this is why I offered this to you.

It was just announced via the GUI the new version of Avast, however in reviewing the reviews, including the one by the previous poster in your thread, there are still problems.  I usually wait at least a few days for any bugs to get worked out.

Have you cleaned your machine with CCleaner yet?

Berxerker

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
Yep. A good deal of things were removed/cleared out, and it saved me quite some hassle.

So, should I just wait for the fixes to be addressed and then update?

And if that happens, wouldn't a 7.0.1452 or something be released? (1452 was an example, I'm clueless. Just meant anything after 1451.)

Berxerker

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 11:19:40 AM »
Hmm… I just found out a bug. Steam isn't loading with Windows as it should be, and the black screen delay has reappeared. :(

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
This Steam bug you didn't have prior to uninstalling and reinstalling?

Did you update your virus definitions after reinstalling?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:23:11 AM by SafeSurf »

Berxerker

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
Eh, rebooted again and Steam auto-starts as usual.

The "5 second lasting black screen with cursor that dims over every movement" still exists though, and it certainly hasn't been a symptom since I factory reset my laptop.

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »
Do you have anything in Start Ups that are necessary or can you Disable anything to speed things up?