Author Topic: Avast Program Update Slows Window Login Time CONSIDERABLY?  (Read 6326 times)

Berxerker

Re: Avast Program Update Slows Window Login Time CONSIDERABLY?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
I've already disabled what I needed to disable. Almost half of my start-up programs are disabled by being most iTunes useless stuff, etc… I have all Microsoft start-ups, as well as a few more such as Steam, Avast, ScreenSaver ASUS Thingy, etc…

I will try rebooting again…

Berxerker

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 11:46:16 AM »
Performance (so far) looks normal. Playing Darksiders like usual :3

Shutdown laptop, now I'm turning it on and manually recording time from BIOS to Windows 7 login screen, and recording black screen last time.

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 11:49:36 AM »
Try keeping Avast on (not disabled this time after rebooting).  If you have Malwarebytes (MBAM) installed, please run a Quick scan.  If you do not have it installed: http://www.malwarebytes.org/, click download for the Free version.  Update the software, then run a scan.  Quarantine anything that comes up.  Post your log in your next reply.  I want to make sure you do not have any malware. 

I will be signing off, but craigb is back online and will be able to assist you.  If he doesn't drop by by the time you are done with your MBAM scan, then run an Avast Quick scan, and if anything comes up put it in the Virus Chest.  This way we can exclude malware as a problem.  Thank you and I'll check back later.

Berxerker

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »
Ok, so Windows 7 time from BIOS to Black Screen was 19.1 seconds. BIOS to Login Screen was 24.1 seconds. This leaves out 5 seconds of Black Screen.

I will make sure ASAP that there's no malware, I currently don't have MBAM installed, but I have the setup somewhere. Also, it'd be odd for me to have any malware, yet I will scan once I'm back.

I run full scans daily, which is why I doubted.

Berxerker

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »
I always have Avast on, never do I leave it turned off. Thanks to you SafeSurf, for assisting me in such an annoying Windows problem :D

SafeSurf

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
MBAM runs differently than AV.  No need to run a full Avast scan daily; most do a Quick scan weekly since Avast runs in the background all the time.  But this is to rule malware out.

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »
No problem.  That is what we are here for.  I have sent a message to craigb to to drop by when he can.

Berxerker

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »
Besides Avast, how much more protection do I need? MBAM? What else? I always have Windows Firewall and Windows Defender on, just as a thin defense line besides Avast.

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »
You really do not need Windows Defender (WD)since Avast is much stronger and updates the definitions more frequently.  Besides WD is also a memory hog.

If you want to play it on the safe side, you can go with Avast, MBAM Pro (resident), make sure you have good plug-in's to protect you in your browser(s).  Look at my signature and DavidR's as an example.  I use FF, but there are similar ones for IE and Chrome.  You especially want to keep the scripts out with NoScript or something like that.  Keep your software up to date.  I use Secunia Software Inspector and check here in the forum for the updates.  But Secunia will give you the direct download link making it easy to update.  Remember with Flash to always remove your older version, reboot, then install the new version so no old remnants are left behind that may cause malware.  These are just a few examples.  There are other software, but you don't want to get paranoid either.  You want a happy balance and software that compliment each other and make it enjoyable for you to surf online.