Author Topic: Disable Anti Theft after I sold my phone?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline ktodd1989

• Personal Message (Offline)
Disable Anti Theft after I sold my phone?
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:40:45 AM »
Hello,

I had an HTC G2 with the Avast Mobile Security App installed. I had this phone setup with Anti-Theft so if the phone detected a new unauthorized simcard, it would send SMS messages to whoever is on my friends list. Well, I sold the phone about 3 weeks ago since I upgraded and totally forget to disable the app. Now it sends numerous text messages to my wife's phone (which her number was on the list) and it's driving her nuts! I looked around but cannot find an answer as to how to disable remotely? I cant seem to get ahold of the new owner of the phone I sold. Any help on how to stop this besides changing her number (which she refuses to do)? Thanks

Offline Ondrej Cermak

• avast! team
Re: Disable Anti Theft after I sold my phone?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:11:04 AM »
Hi,

if you get sms with the new number, why not to call the owner back and tell him how to disable it? But I assume you already tried that.

You can try to use the sms command to disable AT, see: http://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security#commands

SET PROTECTION <protection mode>
Sample: 2222 SET PROTECTION 1
Will enable or disable Anti-Theft protection (0 = turn off, 1 = turn on)
Caution: By using this command you will completely disable the Avast! Anti-Theft system thus rendering the Anti-Theft protection useless.

Perhaps Reinhard could help you more, I'll ping him to check this post.

Ondra

Offline reinhardholzner

• Super Poster
Re: Disable Anti Theft after I sold my phone?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »
yes by using the command SET PROTECTION 0 you will disable anti theft. note you will NOT be able to enable it again later on without physical access to the device.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now