Author Topic: What is Avast Emergency Updater and why is it in my scheduled tasks?  (Read 102639 times)

hake

Re: What is Avast Emergency Updater and why is it in my scheduled tasks?
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
Avast Emergency Update obfuscates the protection provided by my software firewall/HIPS.  It renders that protection less effective because it forces me to respond unnecessarily to executables which do not represent a threat.  Why the random naming when a version update uses regular names?  Avast uses self-protection and digitally signed update files.  Why can't it contrive a less disruptive and distracting system?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
I've gotten 3 Emergency Updates this week.

hake

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2014, 10:58:27 PM »
It feels like multiple emergency updates each day.  You never know when the next one will strike.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »
I got another one today.

REDACTED

« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2014, 02:23:09 PM »
I just got bit by this damn thing this morning. Everything was fine with the version I had installed and then without any warning, AVAST needs to reboot your computer to update. WTF. Now I have some unwanted, unneeded, crappy white looking UI version that looks like it was puked out of a smart phone.

AVAST, if you are going to force people into new versions without consent, at least update them to the latest version and provide some warning of what the hell is going on while you disregard user settings.

I'm rolling back to a previous disk image and am going to kill the AVAST Emergency Updater.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:27:40 PM by Duran »

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2014, 03:34:57 PM »
Hi, I hear you. We are replacing binary emergency updates with other options available in v9 but if we are in need to update legacy versions (<2000), we have to use these annoying EXEs.

@Duran: I answered in other topic, so I'll be glad to here any comments about version banning in there.

Offline dc10boy

« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2014, 04:51:31 AM »
Hi how can I make sure I never get an emergency update again?XP 64 bit and your last update (AGAINST MY WILL) left me with an unusable computer that took me 6 hours to fix!