Author Topic: What is Avast Emergency Updater and why is it in my scheduled tasks?  (Read 102625 times)

Offline EmoHobo

Can someone explain this to me and let me know if it's actually needed to be there, I only found out about it through CCleaner.

SafeSurf

Re: What is Avast Emergency Updater and why is it in my scheduled tasks?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:54:14 AM »
It is part of the new Avast 7.0.1451 version.  I'm surprised to see it in CCleaner though.

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
It is part of the new Avast 7.0.1451 version.  I'm surprised to see it in CCleaner though.
Well they have a tab for scheduled tasks and it was on there, if it's a new feature, I'll leave it alone, it's just change and as a user of the internet, I know all change is evil.

But seriously, I just wanted to know more about it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
What is Emergency Update feature in avast? what does it do?

“A new feature — allows us to push out critical product updates in case of some big issues where the main avast service is not able to start / crashing.
Such situations, till this new version, meant the user had to reinstall avast as there was no way for us to fix such problems from remote.
With this new mechanism, we can push out fixes even to such issues”.

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
So basically it really only runs if there is a problem with Avast, I like that, but I'm also worried it's giving someone from the outside access to my computer or something since the word "remote" was used, I know it doesn't work like that, but paranoid me panics at that word.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »
So basically it really only runs if there is a problem with Avast, I like that, but I'm also worried it's giving someone from the outside access to my computer or something since the word "remote" was used, I know it doesn't work like that, but paranoid me panics at that word.
hmmmm......maybe you should disconnect from internet.   ;D

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
hmmmm......maybe you should disconnect from internet.   ;D
It is the only way to be safe.

So I should just leave this alone in my scheduled tasks and not worry about it unless Avast isn't working, right?  I mean it's not really going to do anything besides allow Avast to update in case of emergency.

I'm just worried about it somehow being used as a backdoor for something malicious, although if that is the case that means Avast was compromised and we are in trouble no matter what. xD

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »

Well it doesn't only run if you have a problem with avast, it runs on startup (why you see it in the CCleaner Tools/Startup/Task Scheduler tab) and checks if there are any known issues with avast that have an Emergency Update for to correct the issue.

The idea being if an avast fault would otherwise have taken a clean reinstall to resolve, the Emergency Updater may make that unnecessary.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alievitan

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
Not seeing on my 2 computers from task scheduler or through ccleaner.  They were both upgraded from version 7.0.1426 through the built in updater.

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »

Well it doesn't only run if you have a problem with avast, it runs on startup (why you see it in the CCleaner Tools/Startup/Task Scheduler tab) and checks if there are any known issues with avast that have an Emergency Update for to correct the issue.

The idea being if an avast fault would otherwise have taken a clean reinstall to resolve, the Emergency Updater may make that unnecessary.
The value of this outweighs any of my paranoia or fear of changes in familiar softtware, as of right now I really like this new feature, I can only see it avoiding headaches in the future.  I hope my opinion on this doesn't change either due to something Avast does or more likely my own stupidity.

true indian

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »
Not seeing on my 2 computers from task scheduler or through ccleaner.  They were both upgraded from version 7.0.1426 through the built in updater.

Not on my win7 system too...i can see it in the tasks only on my XP system...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »

Not on my win7 system too...i can see it in the tasks only on my XP system...

Do either of you happen to have the Scheduled Tasks service disabled, if so it would have to be enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alievitan

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »
Nope, scheduled task services is enabled. 

true indian

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »
Do either of you happen to have the Scheduled Tasks service disabled, if so it would have to be enabled.

Not me..i have it enabled..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »
A mystery then.