Author Topic: What is Avast Emergency Updater and why is it in my scheduled tasks?  (Read 102622 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: What is Avast Emergency Updater and why is it in my scheduled tasks?
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2012, 09:48:58 AM »
No, it won't ask you for any confirmation, that would destroy the point of automation.
But as I was also saying, it's not a functional program update, it's just a fix. More significant behavior changes may be delivered via virus definition updates (and fixes certainly have been delivered that way for quite some time) - which also don't ask for confirmation.

Anyway, I think this tiny "safety belt" feature has gotten much more attention/time spent than it really deserves. So feel free to disable it, it shouldn't affect anything.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:02:41 AM by igor »

crofty59

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »
Out of curiosity i checked to see if avastemupdate.exe was in my Scheduled Tasks Folder but isn't there. I am almost certain it was there earlier, but am not 100% certain.
But it is located in Ccleaner and i also checked Autoruns and it is also located there.

I tried a repair and that made no difference.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled no difference.
So i would assume the Avast Emergency Updater will still work, as it shows up in Autoruns and ccleaner :-[

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:17:38 PM by crofty59 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
Well I'm not sure if seeing or not seeing it in the scheduled tasks is an indication it will or won't run. As can be seen in many of these posts the scheduled task may not be seen depending on the method used to find it.

The latest version  of Autoruns sees it in XP Pro but not in win7 32bit - WinPatrol Plus sees it in XP Pro but not in win7 32bit. So it looks like some of the tools can see it and others can't.

Yet my Outpost Firewall Pro logs for both XP Pro and Win7 32bit show it connecting to avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

crofty59

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
Hopefully there will not be a need for it to run ;)
See what you mean it's not universal with where it shows up.

Very much appropriated your reply DavidR :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

The Kitchen Sink

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
No, it won't ask you for any confirmation, that would destroy the point of automation.
But as I was also saying, it's not a functional program update, it's just a fix. More significant behavior changes may be delivered via virus definition updates (and fixes certainly have been delivered that way for quite some time) - which also don't ask for confirmation.

Anyway, I think this tiny "safety belt" feature has gotten much more attention/time spent than it really deserves. So feel free to disable it, it shouldn't affect anything.

That is our point. There is no off switch *sigh* -_-

Igor-

Which leads me to ask:

1- Do you suggest deleting the Avastemupdate.exe? Is that ok for Avast to run?

2- If deleted, it will not make calls?

I would like an off switch, but if this will NOT damage avast. At least it is an option. Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »
That is our point. There is no off switch *sigh* -_-

If you're afraid of it, just block it with your FW.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

The Kitchen Sink

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »
I really cannot fathom how simple it is to add an off switch, only to ignore the concerns of the patrons regarding something so small to fix.

I am not so much afraid of it as I mention before as others have as well in our examples. If avast is at all broken and needed a fix. We have zero control over it when we need our machine active for whatever reason. If it were broken that badly, obviously it would require a restart as Vanguard mentioned, despite igor saying it would be not important.

So if Avast! is crippled or not functioning properly and a fix is issued. This won't need a restart? Really? Since when?

How can it not be a concern? How can so many smart people not see this?? Including the team members! It is very frustrating =/

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »
1- Do you suggest deleting the Avastemupdate.exe? Is that ok for Avast to run?

No, I'm certainly not suggesting it - I'm saying it's ridiculous because bigger changes are delivered via virus definition updates (that you, at least most likely, update automatically anyway) than this tool would. But if you, for some reason, feel the urge  to disable it, then yes, it's OK to remove/disable the scheduled task, it won't affect avast's normal functionality in any way.

2- If deleted, it will not make calls?

Not sure what you mean... if it's not started, then of course it wouldn't make any calls.
If you're asking whether avast! is using other means to start the executable then the Task Scheduler, then no. The whole point of this tool is to be standalone, independent on the rest of avast! in any way - so that it would be able to run even if the rest of avast! wouldn't load.
So if avast! itself wanted to make similar calls, it would do that directly, without using AvastEmUpdate.exe.

The Kitchen Sink

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
I did not ask about disabling it in task scheduler. I asked if the executable(.EXE) is ok to :delete and not damage Avast.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »
I really cannot fathom how simple it is to add an off switch, only to ignore the concerns of the patrons regarding something so small to fix.

I can see you can't :)
Yes, it is not very complicated, but the amount of associated work (including translating the options into 45 languages, and possibly even updating the help files) is much bigger than you imagine - definitely not worth the significance of the option. There are many more important properties in the program that would deserve a separate option.
I'm not saying there won't be an option for it in the future, but it certainly doesn't have any priority.

If it were broken that badly, obviously it would require a restart as Vanguard mentioned, despite igor saying it would be not important.

Not sure how you came to this "obvious" conclusion.
On contrary - if the installation was be so badly broken that it wouldn't load, it's quite likely that it wouldn't require a reboot - because the reboot is generally needed to replace files that are loaded at the moment.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »
I did not ask about disabling it in task scheduler. I asked if the executable(.EXE) is ok to :delete and not damage Avast.

So instead of disabling the task in Scheduler you'll go to disable self-defense, remove the executable, enable-self defense again...? What's the point?
At the moment, it shouldn't damage avast - but the file will probably appear back sooner or later anyway.

The Kitchen Sink

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »

I can see you can't :)
Yes, it is not very complicated, but the amount of associated work (including translating the options into 45 languages, and possibly even updating the help files) is much bigger than you imagine - definitely not worth the significance of the option. There are many more important properties in the program that would deserve a separate option.
I'm not saying there won't be an option for it in the future, but it certainly doesn't have any priority.

Ok, this is true. I did not think about this. You are very correct and I apologize if I upset anyone. I can understand this being a lot of work. Perhaps as a low priority in a future version it can be added. It would be appreciated.

~~~

To answer the why delete the EXE:
Because if Avast requires an restart while we need our machines active, we will not be able to prevent any damage of lost data from automatic restart that we users cannot turn off =/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:05:05 PM by igor »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »
Uh... no.
That hypothetical fix certainly wouldn't reboot your machine out of the blue, without asking... that would be harsh indeed.

As for deleting the executable - I'm just saying the by disabling the scheduled task you achieve exactly the same, but the solution is a bit more permanent (generally, if you delete an avast file, the installer notices that under specific circumstances and puts the file back).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »
Uh... no.
That hypothetical fix certainly wouldn't reboot your machine out of the blue, without asking... that would be harsh indeed.

;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0