Author Topic: Avast 7 - Webrep installed without my permission  (Read 4117 times)

DorkKnight

Avast 7 - Webrep installed without my permission
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:25:57 PM »
Hello,

I just upgraded from Avast 6 to Avast 7 using the Avast interface. I am not a complainer, particularly when I get a free software product, but this really does irk me... so much so that I had to sign-up here.

I ran through the steps to install Avast 7 today, and specifically chose the option to NOT install Webrep. Unfortunately, Avast 7 seems to think my opinion doesn't count, so it has installed Webrep in ALL MY BROWSERS - even Chrome Canary.

I am a web application developer, and I have to be very careful about what plugins or addons I install in my browsers. I watch plugins and extensions carefully because I often run web performance / diagnostic tests in all browsers on websites and web applications, and I don't want any plugins installed which could adversely affect my browser's performance.

This is a serious problem for the product IMO. Installing software and browser addons against my wishes is a nasty and deceptive behavior for a software company. I'm fairly sure this is the result of a bug in Avast 7 or in the installer, but it needs to be addressed nonetheless.

Avast 7 installed from Avast 6, Win XP SP3, Chrome, Firefox, IE and Safari were affected.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 7 - Webrep installed without my permission
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »
Hello,
I also don't like the fact a software installs some components/plugins without my knowing it. If it happened, then it wasn't done on purpose. Webrep was a separated component which you could choose in avast6 setup and it was renamed to "Browser Protection" in avast7 and this feature includes "WebRep + browsers autosandboxing + phising filter". So, did you really unchecked "Browser Protection" in avast7 setup? If not, WebRep was installed on your computer.

Please disable WebRep plugins from UI (Browser Protection tab -> uninstall).

Thanks, pk

groucho

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
The problem is worse than stated above. If you install avast! 7 it also installs Google Chrome without asking you whether you want to it or not. Its avast! WebRep add-on does not work with Firefox but it does work with Google Chrome. Like many other software makers, the people who make avast! seem to have succombed to greed and taken money from Google to ptomote its products. My decision is to uninstall avast! until these issues have been satisafctorily resolved.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:29:38 AM »
The problem is worse than stated above. If you install avast! 7 it also installs Google Chrome without asking you whether you want to it or not. Its avast! WebRep add-on does not work with Firefox but it does work with Google Chrome. Like many other software makers, the people who make avast! seem to have succombed to greed and taken money from Google to ptomote its products. My decision is to uninstall avast! until these issues have been satisafctorily resolved.

Google Chrome has never been installed here, and I've updated thru each official update and beta that has been released.  A couple of weeks ago, I uninstalled Avast and did a clean install after using the Avast Uninstall utility.  Still no Google Chrome.

WebRep works fine for me in Firefox 13.0.1.  Evidently, your system is borked somehow, and Avast is not the likely culprit.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

tbint

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:51:05 AM »

Google Chrome has never been installed here, and I've updated thru each official update and beta that has been released.  A couple of weeks ago, I uninstalled Avast and did a clean install after using the Avast Uninstall utility.  Still no Google Chrome.

WebRep works fine for me in Firefox 13.0.1.  Evidently, your system is borked somehow, and Avast is not the likely culprit.

There is nothing wrong with my system! When I allowed the program update with 6 interface to new version back in February ( http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94175.msg749777#msg749777 ) my latest version of chrome install that I had installed from a google download. Was re-installed, all settings and bookmarks were removed. Sorry but there is an issue. Glad to here everything went well for you.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:45:01 AM »
@tbint,

I wasn't talking to you.  Thanks for butting in. ::)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner