Author Topic: slowness of avast 7.0.1456  (Read 3889 times)

selen

slowness of avast 7.0.1456
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
yesterday I have updated avast to version 7.0.1456. This morning when I started my computer I noticed that avast popup, which notifies that the virus definitions have been updated, has taken a lot of time to appear. Before the update to version 1456 the green popup took only 1-2 minutes to show up. Why this slowness?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: slowness of avast 7.0.1456
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
Maybe the update happened later than usual? I don't quite see an issue...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

selen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »
Maybe the update happened later than usual? I don't quite see an issue...

I don't know...I have only noticed this slowness in updating the latest VPS, it has never happened before, so I thought it could be a link between this slowness and the new version 1456

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
But how do you know the update was slow? I mean, maybe the update wasn't yet available when you booted the system, and became available only after a while?

BTW you can check the setup log (the file C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\setup.log) for details...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

selen

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »
But how do you know the update was slow? I mean, maybe the update wasn't yet available when you booted the system, and became available only after a while?

BTW you can check the setup log (the file C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\setup.log) for details...

Simply because I have booted my system at 1.30 PM and after about 5 minutes the green popup appeared. Then I looked into avast menu "update" and I saw that the last VPS update, number 120704-0, has been released at 12.35, so one hour before. Normally when I boot my computer and avast find a new update avaliable shows me the green popup and it takes about one minute to appear. Usually it is very fast.
I can't find the file setup. log in avast/setup, I see only the files Setup and Setup.ovr. Anyway, how can this file setup.log help me to clarify my doubt?  What does it for?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:14:43 PM by selen »

bobo1

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
Updating correctly on my test computer win xp sp3. We need to know what operating system that you are using? & Have u tested the computer with a good anti spyware scanner & have u Defragged your hard drive?

selen

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »
Updating correctly on my test computer win xp sp3. We need to know what operating system that you are using? & Have u tested the computer with a good anti spyware scanner & have u Defragged your hard drive?

I have windows xp. On my computer all works good, I have no problems. I have scanned my system with malwarebytes, just to be sure. There are no virus or malware. I have simply noticed this issue with avast since yesterday, when I have updated to the new version 7.0.1456. All was working perfectly with the previous 1451 version. Can you explain me what  this setup.log file, which Vlk has mentioned, is? If I go to Progrm files/alwil software/avast5/setup I can't find this file! I have two files called Setup and one file called Setup.ovr, but there is no file called Setup.log...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:41:25 PM by selen »