Author Topic: Safe Zone weirdness  (Read 32986 times)

Norfolk

Re: Safe Zone weirdness
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »
Where on Firefox exactly can I turn this safezone off? Drives me mad!
Is it Tools - Options...? Then I don't get any further.
Thanks

briharr

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »
How do you get to (Additional Protection -> Browser Protection)?  I use Firefox.  Please send easy to follow detailed instruction.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 07:30:12 PM »
How do you get to (Additional Protection -> Browser Protection)?  I use Firefox.  Please send easy to follow detailed instruction.

Open the avast! GUI (click on the orange "a"), then click on "Additional Protection", then click on "Browser Protection" and deactivate WebRep there.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »
We found the problem. Webrep plugin sends some requests which cause switching to SafeZone.
It'll be fixed in next program update (next week, I guess).
No wonder I didn't see the problem. I don't use WebRep  :D

tintala

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:58 AM »

>:(Having major problems with safeZone, hating it right now, can't wait to get rid of it, it's controlling my browser and opening a thousand windows. No way to disable it?   >:( I don't have webrep and I purchase this.

bootzilla

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 06:20:14 AM »
I had to uninstall the plugin for Chrome to get it to stop popping up, but I didn't try rebooting computer after unchecking WebRep, so that might work, too.

I'll reinstall the plugin after the fix and give it a try.

Thanks for making a great free program - if there was going to be a glitch, I'd much rather it be this (where you just have to disable a feature) than something that lets a virus through...

Dch48

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Make sure you don't have WebRep installed and activated. The developers have said that it is the cause of the SafeZone problem.

bootzilla

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:12 AM »

>:(Having major problems with safeZone, hating it right now, can't wait to get rid of it, it's controlling my browser and opening a thousand windows. No way to disable it?   >:( I don't have webrep and I purchase this.

Right-click your Avast icon on the right side of the task bar --> pick "Open Avast user interface" --> On the left side of the Avast screen, click "Additional Protection" --> in the menu that appears below it select "Browser Protection" --> Then click "uninstall" next to the browser you use. Close (if open) all internet browser windows and then open again - problem should be gone...worked for me.  Reinstall after the update with the fix.

MichaelFL

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
I'm using Firefox. What do I click to begin with? I'm not a techie and didn't understand your answer.

I would like to say this intensely annoying Safe Zone feature began today and I can't wait to be able to kill Safe Zone forever. I'd guess that if you took a poll the results would be that Safe Zone should never be a default option. This is truly maddening. Please hurry with your update. It is very difficult to get anything done with that thing stopping my system dead every few minutes.

A tip for the software folks. Stop with the "nanny" software. Never decide what's good for me and cram it down my throat. Make EVERY "feature" optional

iroc9555

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »
MichaelFL

I'm using Firefox. What do I click to begin with? I'm not a techie and didn't understand your answer.

Open Avast!. Look for ADDITIONAL PROTECTION to your left. Then Browser protection. Click to uninstall your choice of browser. See my image below.

JazzAzz

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
Do you say that your desktop is switched randomly to SafeZone? Or you're in SafeZone and new SafeZone browsers starts randomly? Thanks.

Yes that is what is happening to me. So probably before noon here Avast will be history. I am HATING THIS CRAP!!!!!

JazzAzz

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »
We found the problem. Webrep plugin sends some requests which cause switching to SafeZone.
It'll be fixed in next program update (next week, I guess).

Hasn't been fixed yet, so Bye Bye Avast within a couple or three hours. Too bad too, since Avast has been my favorite!!!

Latest report A/O 12:20PM PDT. The tech suggestion of DISABLE Webrep in my Browers add-ons/plug ins, appears to have done the trick for now. Will give it a few day, then re-enable to see if it is fixed>>>Thanks (PK, was it?? :-) )).

Now will have to do the same to my Netbook, later this evening, if I use it later today
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:21:50 PM by JazzAzz »

edifyguy

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
I can't believe how upset people are getting over this silly problem. I agree, it needs to be fixed, and I might even agree that an interim update to break WebRep entirely would be better than allowing it to go on for a week, but really.....why the anger? It's a nuisance, not a real problem, and the workaround is STUPID easy. Have a cigarette, spend 30 seconds reading the posts here, and you'll be able to fix the problem.

If you want something to get upset about, you could have had AVG, which made every single Windows 7 x64 machine permanently bluescreen after a particular update. THAT is a problem which merits anger! This one.......not so much.

JazzAzz

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
I can't believe how upset people are getting over this silly problem. I agree, it needs to be fixed, and I might even agree that an interim update to break WebRep entirely would be better than allowing it to go on for a week, but really.....why the anger? It's a nuisance, not a real problem, and the workaround is STUPID easy. Have a cigarette, spend 30 seconds reading the posts here, and you'll be able to fix the problem.

If you want something to get upset about, you could have had AVG, which made every single Windows 7 x64 machine permanently bluescreen after a particular update. THAT is a problem which merits anger! This one.......not so much.

You're correct. Just annoying every time it blacked out the screen.